BIOGRAPHY

My name is Hangwei Bao. and I am a third-year student in the Faculty of Arts at UBC.  I live in campus, and I am currently in a program called IDST ( Interdisciplinary study),  in this program, I have three minors, and they are: Chinese, Asian studies, and Economics. Academically, I have always been a very determined individual, and I have a broad interest in many subject areas, and that is why I chose the IDTS program.

However, I have always been interested in business and topics like business management and public resources management.  Growing up in an entrepreneurial family, I was constantly exposed to discussions about all aspects of entrepreneurship. I developed a great interest in business, and I took the time to study business-related courses. Although these courses are not mandatory in my program, they furthered my knowledge in business.  Through much self-analysis, I feel that I would do well in business management; and I think I would pursue a career in business management. I feel that the communication skills and economic knowledge I gained in the IDST program will come in useful when studying business management in another institution. 

Outside my campus life, my main leisure activities are playing badminton, and video games. I started to play badminton ever since high school and joined inter-school badminton competitions several times. I have learned the importance of group work from these activities,  they strengthened my abilities to lead and communicate within a team. One of the most valuable lessons I learned from playing with my team is that: one should also help others to lead. Being a leader is great,  but in order to win as a team, one needs to value each person’s role and work collaterally. Individual success is not so important if it cannot benefit the team in a meaningful way.