TV Product Placement

Recently, I watched a popular Chinese TV series “Let’s Get Married”. One thing I noticed and found really interested to me is that there are so much “product placement” in it. Product placement is defined as a non-traditional advertising technique used by companies to subtly promote their products through appearances in film, television, or other media (by the BuinessDictionary.com).

Some watchful audiences counted there are over 49 “product placement” in the TV series. Each of the products are present in a different way, from the milk tea that are on the shelf to the cars that the actors drive, even the websites which the performers use to find jobs. Many people criticized the product placement online. Some people made jokes and said this TV series should be called “Let’s Advertise” instead; some others said it is the longest advertisement they have ever seen. However, in my opinion I think it is a quite effective and useful way for marketing.

In my point of view, I prefer the product placement through the TV series rather than the normal ads that in the middle of the TV series. If the product placement replaces the normal ads, audiences would save a lot of time to watch a TV program. It also follows the social trend of a time-poor society. Furthermore, when characters say something good about some products, the message will get into fans’ memory, and in the future the fans would easily recall the memory and are highly likely to buy the products. The product placement allows the products show in a close way to the audience which in a “real” life than the formal advertisement. It’s more vivid and feels closer to our lives than the several-minutes commercials. So without impacting the story of the TV series, the product placement is acceptable for me.