Just over the hill

by heathercrawford ~ November 17th, 2010. Filed under: Everyday.

As term comes to a close, eyes are becoming droopy and coffee addictions growing.  With my mid-terms now complete, you would think that the sailing would become much smoother from here out, but as is the norm of university there are new curveballs being thrown your way constantly.  So far I have enjoyed my first term at UBC.  I have met wonderful people and have the great fortune of landing some amazing profs.  In terms of class examinations I have just passed one of my first mid-terms and have found the adjustment from A’s to C+’s a hard pill to swallow.  So far I have stayed away from the addiction from steaming cups of coffee and hope to continue to do so into second term.  In order to write my first term paper I pulled my first all nighter, not a pleasant experience, and scimmed numerous books for only a few peices of information.  On top of all of this I have managed to stay a sane commuter student with a 3 hour round trip commmute.  Although I have felt low lows and high highs, I have loved every second.  However I want to create a list of goals to take with me into next term that will hopefully allow myself to better keep control of my time and stress:

1) READ, READ, READ (make a strict schedule to break up the dense materials)

2) Ask your profs for help, eventhough they may seem intimidating (they want to get ot know you)

3) Take advantage of free on-campus tutoring

4) Make notes along the way (eventhough it may be time consuming)

5) Prioritize and make cut-off times (don’t spend 3 hours doing Math and only leave yourself 2 hours for multiple class readings)

6) Get involved!!!!