Exchange Prep

by heathercrawford ~ May 30th, 2012

It has been awhile but I will soon be taking part in an exciting journey overseas and want to be able to share the experience!

I am going on exchange to the University of Glasgow in Scotland come the fall and I am thrilled!

As of tonight I have booked my flight and excepted my residence contract. The time is sure flying by quickly! It feels like it was only yesterday that I first decided I wanted to go on exchange. Even though I have changed my mind almost a million times, I am confident in my choice!

Some of the things I look forward to:

• not being a minority (For once I will not be the only ginger in the room)
  • viewing the Highlands landscape and trying to find the Loch Ness monster
  • exploring my roots and Scottish blood trails

I can’t wait to go, but I know it will be bittersweet!

A Case For HST

by heathercrawford ~ April 14th, 2011

From an English assignment we had to right a persuasive essay for a “case for” or “case against.”  I decided to write on the HST because as a student, and will be soon tax-payer, I wanted to know more about the tax that everyone seems to be downing.  So far there has been no #winning here.  Even though the new BC Government is looking to faze out the tax, I wish people would really understand that taxes are inevitable as members of society and that despite all the hatred, the HST was good for our economy.

As indicated by the B.C. Federation of Labour, “the HST is a tax shift that moves the tax burden from corporations to individuals at a time when most workers have seen their salaries stagnate over the last two decades” (BCFed).  Since its release the HST has been heavily debated.  There has been “much public discontent due to misinformation being spread by those who oppose the reform and want to derail it” (Lammam and Veldhuis).  Opponents of the tax believe the HST will take advantage of low-income earners, as well as benefit the business sector instead of everyday consumers as the province recovers from a heavy recession.  What these opponents fail to see are the hard facts behind the tax as many are relying on poor research and anecdotes to fuel their anti-HST positions (Veldhuis and Lammam p. 31).  Although opposition in BC has reached 85% (Zalm), the provincial government has made the right move for the prosperity of British Columbia in the long run.

Contrary to popular belief, the HST is not set up to take advantage of low-income earners, but rather skewed towards higher-income families (Lammam and Veldhuis).  In fact, low to mid-income earners in BC will actually see a decrease in their total tax bill (Veldhuis).  For example, “families with incomes between $20,000 and $40,000 in 2011 will see an average tax reduction of $411” (Veldhuis) and “families with incomes between $40,000 and $60,000 will see their total tax bill decrease by an average of $159” (Veldhuis).  Additionally, the new HST credit will help to further alleviate the burden of tax proportionally across lower income families (Veldhuis and Lammam p. 31) by “increasing the basic personal tax exemption to $11,000” (Veldhuis).  BC upper income families will not even see a drastic difference in their current taxation as the HST will only raise their tax rates at an average “increase of just 0.3 per cent” (Veldhuis).

Many critics have suggested that the HST will help industry and not the average British Columbian, however this is a myth.  The HST will benefit BC consumers in the long run by creating a more competitive environment for investment (Veldhuis and Lammam p. 32) in the province of BC, generating spillover effects into productivity and job opportunities for ordinary BC residents.  From analyzing the old tax system it can be seen that the PST only penalized productivity, rather than fostering it.  Before, all business inputs were subject to PST taxation creating higher prices that were passed on to consumers (Lammam and Veldhuis p. 23).  Under the HST “all business inputs are exempt from the HST” (Lammam and Veldhuis p. 24) encouraging business investment in BC due to the reduction in tax penalties (Veldhuis and Lammam p. 32).  This investment boosts both in equipment and machinery will result in “increases in productivity, wages, and job opportunities” (Lammam and Veldhuis p. 24).  With an increase in the production of goods and no taxes on business inputs, overall consumer prices will fall as was witnessed in Atlantic Canada after the 1997 HST reforms (Lammam and Veldhuis).  Therefore British Columbians will gain more, rather then lose as wages rise and prices fall due to the positive HST effects on BC business.

There are many reasons why the HST is beneficial for British Columbians, and not a threat.  Over the next 10 years Jack Mintz estimates a net increase of 113,00 jobs in BC (Lammam and Veldhuis p. 24).  As well, “BC taxpayers will save another $30 million annually in government administration costs” (Veldhuis and Lammam p. 31).  Rather than focusing on the label of a new tax, opponents need to look at the actual magnitude of the effects that the tax will have both in the short term and in the long term.  Many challengers of the HST need to realize that although “the burden of all taxes ultimately falls on people” (Lammam and Veldhuis p. 24), this new harmonized tax will have more positive impacts then negative on British Columbians as the provincial economy moves forward.  Lower income families will benefit more from the HST rather than lose, both through direct taxation reduction and the spillover effects in the business sector.  Most importantly, the HST will help BC’s economy to quickly recover from the recession (Veldhuis and Lammam p. 31), as no taxes for businesses will make the province a more attractive place for investment, benefiting the residents of BC.

My journey: Comm 299

by heathercrawford ~ April 1st, 2011

My attitude towards Comm 299 was both positive and negative. Many of the lessons taught in the class were useful, but others felt like filler. I think that in general this course really tries to equip Sauder students how to act in and pursue a career in the business world.  It helped me to see my potential and how I can use my passion to define myself in the business world.  If I had to give it a rating out of 10 it would be a 7. This rating isn’t solely based on the instruction of the lectures or tutorials but that essentially a lot of Comm 299 is dry, but useful.

I think of Comm 299 as the ultimate business student beginner’s handbook. You start with the basics but also the dirty work of the course. I found that the gutting and reconstructing of my cover letter and resume was a HUGE benefit. I got an interview and eventually a job with my paper portfolio. Also being able to practice an interview was a bonus. I myself had never had a proper interview and considering I’ll probably be doing multiple interviews over the next few years, it was key.  After the interview section I this course I feel confident and actually enjoy doing interviews!

After cover letters my interest in the course drop, until the information interview lecture. I’d thought of contacting people in businesses and positions of my interest but never knew how to go about it. Even though we are students, that doesn’t mean that our communication with businesses is limited; it’s just a matter of how you approach the situation.  Now with school coming to a close I am going to comply a list and make a few phone calls.

My TA for Comm 299 is what really made this course worthwhile for me. She was so enthusiastic and energized all the time, as well as really cared about her students. I had this feeling, that if she could she would write a handbook with all her personal experiences and advice to help us on our paths through Sauder and transition into the world of business. I really hope that I can be as successful as she has been in her years at Sauder.  I know that if I need anything in the future she’ll be there.

I’m really glad I got a chance to sit on the peer advising council for this course. Being able to express what others and I felt about the course will only foster the success of this course. Overall I have mixed feelings about this class, but deep down I’m glad I took it. I think if I hadn’t I would be treading water, not really knowing what to do. I’ve been equipped and coached. Now it’s time for me to get out there and get some victories under my belt.

Greatest Lesson: Communication is key

by heathercrawford ~ March 24th, 2011

Today, most of society uses text messages and e-mails to share and exchange information.  We have abandon vocal communication.  When was the last time you picked up the phone to call a friend?  You probably text your friends and family more then you spend time on a telephone or in a face-to-face conversation.  This is even becoming the trend in some businesses these days.  The gap in communication causes for much confusion.  Tones are not heard and mixed messages are sent.

The greatest lesson learned from someone else was from my dad.  Working in the port industry, my dad converses with multiple people daily locally and globally.  Yes, he writes e-mails but those are always followed up with a phone call.  I remember after an incident at his workplace one day, when an angry e-mail was sent and then distributed throughout the office.  Due to a miscommunication via e-mail, someone at his work had become upset and instead of picking up the phone and diffusing the confusion, wrote an enraged e-mail.  He came home that day and told me never ever try to solve things by written word.  To always pick up the phone and talk to someone.

From then on he has instilled in me that verbal communication is power.  Over the years I have tried to employ his words of wisdom, but when others begin to rely on written communication, a friction arises.  Although there is temptation to responding to a spiteful text message or e-mail in the heat of the moment, it is always better to pick up the phone.  Communication is crucial not only in business, but also with friends and family, as I have learnt over the years.

Lululemon gets cheeky

by heathercrawford ~ November 28th, 2010

Leading up to the Vancouver 2010 Olympic Games, Lululemon was upset to not be granted the position of the olympic clothing sponsor for the games.  Although disappointed, Lulu made a strong statement about the situation by printing clothing with the quote “Cool Sporting Event That Takes Place in British Columbia Between 2009 & 2011 Edition” due to the copyright  laws of the Vancouver 2010 Olympic brand.  This statement is a perfect example of ambush marketing, as voiced with the IOC, which is a marketing technique that involves piggy backing a major event without paying sponsorship fees.  Lululemon wanted to still have involve in the games, being a Canadian-Vancouver born company, and released a Canada theme clothing line, including a toque that looked like a team Canada hockey helmet with black paint for your teeth.  Although no dates, years, or any relations to the games could be printed, Lulu persevered through sponsorship disappointment with a “cheeky” and fun attitude.  However, was this really ambush marketing by Lulu or can it be considered clever positioning during the games?  Unlike Nike during the 1996 games in Atlanta, Lululemon didn’t plaster posters all over Vacnouver, but let there costumers sport Lulu’s own olympic themed gear.  Adding more diversity to the cities national olympic spirit.

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-ambush-marketing.htm

http://sparksheet.com/brand-olympics-the-best-marketing-campaigns-of-the-2010-vancouver-winter-games/

Market Mamma Mia

by heathercrawford ~ November 27th, 2010

When companies are looking to market a new product, they aren’t just only looking at the industry but also consumer behaviour as well.  If you think of a consumer market as a pizza you have different sizes of slices and flavours of pizza.  For instance, these pizzas can be represented as age, gender, or a combination of the two groups.  However consumer behaviour is affected by more then just age and gender, it is also impacted by cultural factors, social factors, and personal factors.  Consumer needs are also heavily influenced when formulating a new product because different people have different needs.  Maslow’s Hierarchy of needs is a perfect example that ranks peoples’ needs in a pyramid system (physiological, safety, social, esteem, self-actualization).  Producers need to make sure they are meeting the factors and needs of their consumer pizza, otherwise their products could “flop” and won’t succeed in the market.

Cutting out the Middleman

by heathercrawford ~ November 25th, 2010

With the online market place booming, many businesses are turning to online stores where companies can deal with each individual customer directly.  This process avoids the traditional distribution channels, which calls for an intermediate, and therefore cuts out the middleman.  Shipping through parcel companies can eat into many businesses costs and therefore many companies start their own shipping company for their products.  In order for businesses to benefit from this cost-argument, companies need to have great expertise in infrastructure and be able to recoup the costs of such an endeavor.   Companies such as Dell and Levis Strauss have successfully achieved this disintermediation process; as well P&G, a manufacture that sells a wide range of consumer goods, hopes to expand into this form of market.  Not only do the companies themselves receive cost-benefits, so do customers as the costs per item are decreased and therefore the price in the store is reduced as well.  What happens though if too many middlemen are cut? How would the world of business change if all companies became their own distributers?

Two Skis and Two Brothers

Two brothers in BC have taken the ski hill experience to a new level.  Starting with the original purpose to enable their mother to hit the slopes and watch her grandchildren ski, Paul and Geogia invented the sno-limo, which resembles a dog sled.  This invention allows non-skiers to enjoy the joys and scenic view of the mountain experience.  The sno-limo unit is extremely safe and able to be loaded easily onto a chairlift due to its built-in hydraulic system.  Whistler was the first resort in the world to allow this new invention onto its slopes, tapping into the benefits of the non-skier and boarder industry.  Almost 15-35% of people who visit ski resorts do not ski or snowboard; therefore the sno-limo allows resorts to tap into this untouched market.  Now the sno-limo is available at Big White and Grouse Mountain and in over 5 seasons has delivered service to some 20,000 riders.  The two brothers are enthusiastic that demand will continue into the future and that resorts around the world will begin to allow the sno-limo onto their slopes.

http://www.sno-limo.com/

Cooking for change

by heathercrawford ~ November 18th, 2010

Social entrepreneurs are people who recognize a social problem and use entrepreneurial principles to organize, create and manage a venture to achieve social change.  Jamie Oliver, a TV chef from the UK, is a prime explain of a modern day social entrepreneur who is campaigning to improve children’s diet at school, as well as train disadvantaged young people to become chefs through his, social enterprise, restaurant called Fifteen.  Both of these projects are captured on television, which has helped to spread Oliver’s message of social change.  His new series, Jamie Oliver’s Food Revolution USA, is about saving America’s health by changing the way people eat.  Oliver explains is as “not just a TV show, it’s a movement for you, your family and your community.”  The Jamie Oliver Foundation has also worked to form a social enterprise that enables 18-24 year olds to experience learning to work in the restaurant business.  The profits earned from this restaurant chain are put back into the chef apprenticeship program.  Oliver is a successful chef with many books and television shows, but he is also passionate about educating others about food and allowing youth to succeed.  He is able to main both a social and profit driven goal while keeping them separate at the same time.  After winning the Technology Entertainment and Design (TED) 2010 award, Oliver is sure to continue to expand in his drive for social change and create new ventures in the future.

http://www.jamieoliver.com/foundation/

Just over the hill

by heathercrawford ~ November 17th, 2010

As term comes to a close, eyes are becoming droopy and coffee addictions growing.  With my mid-terms now complete, you would think that the sailing would become much smoother from here out, but as is the norm of university there are new curveballs being thrown your way constantly.  So far I have enjoyed my first term at UBC.  I have met wonderful people and have the great fortune of landing some amazing profs.  In terms of class examinations I have just passed one of my first mid-terms and have found the adjustment from A’s to C+’s a hard pill to swallow.  So far I have stayed away from the addiction from steaming cups of coffee and hope to continue to do so into second term.  In order to write my first term paper I pulled my first all nighter, not a pleasant experience, and scimmed numerous books for only a few peices of information.  On top of all of this I have managed to stay a sane commuter student with a 3 hour round trip commmute.  Although I have felt low lows and high highs, I have loved every second.  However I want to create a list of goals to take with me into next term that will hopefully allow myself to better keep control of my time and stress:

1) READ, READ, READ (make a strict schedule to break up the dense materials)

2) Ask your profs for help, eventhough they may seem intimidating (they want to get ot know you)

3) Take advantage of free on-campus tutoring

4) Make notes along the way (eventhough it may be time consuming)

5) Prioritize and make cut-off times (don’t spend 3 hours doing Math and only leave yourself 2 hours for multiple class readings)

6) Get involved!!!!