As an Italian I am fortunate enough to say I have experienced Italian culture and language first hand throughout my life. To me, Italian culture does not solely pertain to the food we eat or the music we listen to. Italians display their culture through their interactions with the world around them. I have chosen a variety of pictures I have taken from my adventures traveling the world to highlight the fact that aspects of Italian culture is not only found in the rural towns of Italy or the family functions I have engaged in all my life. Italian culture is found in each individual who cares to embody the aspects that define an Italian. A unique segment of Italian culture that I have chosen to highlight pertains to friendship and unity.

Italians are very social and have a special way of creating bonds and friendships with people whom they have just met. Italian culture is highlighted in the ability to connect with different cultures and socio-economic backgrounds and unite them together. I have featured many pieces of my life to correlate that all of my experiences are connected. This is shown in how I interact with new people, form bonds and friendships, and appreciate the foreign customs and traditions I get introduced to every time I travel. Italian culture is not only displayed through our own district traditions but through our ability to learn from and teach others.

By Italia Paris, SFU Student of Italian