Week 4 – The Shrouded Woman

Posted by in RMST 202

‘The Shrouded Woman’ by María Luisa Bombal was an amazing read. I really enjoyed this text as I felt like I was so interested in her perspective. I found it so unique and capturing that she sees herself buried. Narrating from this view made this novel made it more impactful in a way as she looks back at her life. This perspective made the text so interesting almost like I was immersed in a show.

I think this novel did a great job at capturing those emotions and feelings someone would have looking back at their life if they had a chance. It made me think that death can actually make us think about things we wouldn’t normally appreciate. The little day-to-day things we take for granted, the relationships we form, and the time that just slips our fingers. I feel like this novel depicted how above all we only have our memories. Ana María mentions the things I think we would all think if we were dead. Those thoughts, wishes, regrets, memories, and such. For example when Ana Maria was regretful in being cold to her husband initially or when she regrets being left by Ricardo.

I think a central theme in this book is love. As María talks about her relationships both good and bad she explicitly remembers her relationships. Her relationship with Ricardo in her youth was filled with passion. Then moving to Fernando and then finally her unhappy marriage with Antonio. She dwells over her youthful relationship, is unhappy and cold in her marriage but then also takes on a lover which does not have a good ending either. This ongoing debate as to her relationships and what was fulfilling and what was not is something that is clearly dedicated in her memories. Furthermore, I think the novel also highlights the role of the patriarchy and society in marriage. Through her marriage with Antonio, she struggles with the roles and responsibilities that are expected of her as a woman and desires that independence that society does not reward. It is clear that she feels frustrated by societal demands and norms.

Overall I enjoyed this book! The shift between reality and memory of the María although not a new concept made this text in particular more intense and capturing.

The question I have for this week is if you were looking back at your life at this moment what memories would stand out the most to you? What moments in your life have defined who you are today?