Combray: Madelines and Memories (Jan 14)

A. Initial Thoughts

My first read of Marcel Proust’s “Combray” was SO difficult. Initially, it seemed like a never-ending text of sleep and a madeleine soaked in tea. Proust starts by painting this scene where the protagonist experiences “the taste of the crumb of madeleine soaked in [his great aunt’s] decoction of lime-flowers…” (6), which conjures up the his memories of childhood in Combray. However, as I delved deeper, the text transformed into a sentimental story about family dynamics and childhood. 

B. Important Themes: Family Dynamics & Childhood

I believe that Proust’s narrative mirrors his own life as a sickly child who was deeply connected to his mother (6), evident in the protagonist Marcel’s (Marcel Proust) experiences. One moment that stood out in regards to Marcel’s family was young Marcel’s distress over his great aunt teasing his grandmother about his grandfather sneaking liquor, leading Marcel to run “up to the top of the house to cry [himself] in a little room beside the schoolroom and beneath the roof” (20). Marcel later views this memory with humor as “in later years, one can grow so well accustomed [to these memories] as to smile at them…” (20), reflecting the evolving nature of childhood memories and a young child’s innocence. 

Further, Marcel’s relationship with his strict father and his deep attachment to his mother are laid out in intimate detail. When Monsieur Swann visits, Marcel becomes annoyed because it means his mother won’t kiss him goodnight. He sends a letter to her through the maid, Francoise, to beckon his mother. His emotions are raw when he describes how his “intoxicated heart [was] gushing [the] sweetness of [his] mamma’s attention…” (41). And how he feels anxious, yet excited waiting to see her (43). When Marcel’s mother comes to see him, despite knowing she’d be angry at his dependence, he throws himself at her, showing the vulnerability a child has with their parents. Further, Marcel’s dad, who seems cold, shows this softer side, telling the mother to sleep with him tonight as “you can see quite well that the child is unhappy” (48). His father’s reaction opens a window into the nuanced and contradictory nature of parental love. Marcel’s father’s different kind of affection (50) highlights the diverse ways love manifests in a family. Further, the portrayal of Marcel’s mother is also emotional. Her struggle to balance tenderness with the need to foster independence in her child is a recurring theme, shown when she tears up seeing her son cry, offering to read him a book (51). The moments of vulnerability shared between them are delicately crafted, offering a nuanced exploration of their relationship.

C. Concluding Thoughts

At the end of Part 1, Proust offers a reflection on memory that reshaped my reading of the text. He draws a contrast between involuntary memories, which emerge spontaneously, and memories we summon through effort. His observation, “since the facts which I should then have recalled would have been prompted only by an exercise of the will… To me it was in reality all dead” (57), implies that deliberate memories lack the vividness of those that surface unexpectedly (the madeleine memory). This revelation helped me appreciate his detailed writing style, which initially posed a challenge. The detailed descriptions, particularly about family dynamics, brought the story’s world to life, making it more meaningful.

D. My Question For Discussion

Q: Why do you think Proust (or Marcel) thought about Combray specifically when he took a bite into the madeline?

Q: How do the first few pages detailing sleeping introduce the concept of conscious versus unconscious memories? In what ways does it parallel the madeleine invoking memories of Combray?

One thought on “Combray: Madelines and Memories (Jan 14)”

1. Jennifer, I am glad to read you were able to delve deeper than the confusing beginning. And yes, you are write the family dynamics and childhood do play a central role in the purpose of this writing. I particularly linked the quote you used on page 20 about how the character reflects on his reflecting. Do you think this dynamic you present of his relationship with the mother and father change as the text goes on – or do you think they remain static?
    Thanks for your comment!