Black Shack Alley: Sacrifices Made for Us (Feb 13)

A. Initial Thoughts

“Black Shack Alley” ruined me. I felt very sentimental as this was the first novel where I felt a connection with the novel’s protagonist, José. Specifically, his relationship with his grandmother, M’man Tine—a figure of strength and hard work to provide opportunities to José—demonstrates the hardships parents or parental figures go through to provide for their children, something that we children are often ignorant to. In the beginning, “Black Shack Alley”’s  tone was humorous and light, but it evolved into a narrative that was both heartbreaking and inspiring. 

B. Important Themes: Sacrifice 

The story starts with 5 year old José’s experiences in Black Shack Alley, a plantation village in colonial Martinique described as “comprised [of] three dozen ramshackle wooden huts” (Zobel 11), shadowed by the white overseer’s residence. We see how the residents of Black Shack Alley are living in poor conditions when José describes the clothing of his boy peers as having “so many holes in them that they in no way covered the frail bodies that pretended to wear them”, and how the dresses for the girls were so loose that they really “hid nothing at all” (Zobel 11-12). Despite poverty, José’s recounting of his youth is filled with a sense of happiness, joy, and mischief—a stark contrast to the reality of their living. A memorable moment involves José and his friends’ attempt to steal pomme-lianes, leading to a dangerous encounter with Mr. Gabriel, the overseer. Despite the fear this scene evokes, demonstrating the harsh conditions of black individuals during the colonial era, José interprets their frightened state as “proof of [their] bravery” (Zobel 15), illustrating how childhood innocence often masks the grim realities of life, such as racism. Another instance of childhood joy was when José and his friends played a game of chasing dragonflies, which ends in them making a mess in M’man Tine’s home. José’s recounting of the event, including the humorous punishment from his grandmother, offers a lighter perspective on his day-to-day life.

However, this childhood bliss is sharply contrasted with the reality of the adults’ world, filled with labor, pain, and the harsh truths of racial discrimination. I enjoyed how Zobel contrasted the children’s perceived freedom with the burdens the adults faced. Specifically, M’mam Tine, a central figure in José’s life, is a symbol of hard work and perseverance. Her dedication to laboring in the sugarcane fields to provide José with educational opportunities represents a beacon of hope for a better future. The narrative reaches its emotional climax as M’mam Tine’s health deteriorates, forcing José to face the demanding realities of adulthood and the value of hard work. Sadly, José starts to recognize the adults’ toil and suffering as a normal aspect of life, an acceptance that reflects a child’s perspective of the world around them. This shift in awareness marks the loss of a child’s innocence and when they become conscious of the harsher aspects of life. 

C. Concluding Thoughts

I enjoyed how this novel illustrates everyday lives, as well as struggles faced by Black individuals during the colonial period. Specifically, the book highlights the crucial role of education as a pathway for these marginalized communities to progress in terms of social class. As a person of color and the child of immigrants, I deeply connected with José’s experiences. His youthful obliviousness to the sacrifices his grandmother made, ensuring he had opportunities she herself never experienced, resonated with me. The narrative was very moving and made me more conscious of how the parental figures around me have shaped my life.

D. Questions for Discussion

Q: What is your view on education? Do you agree with M’man Tine’s emphasis on pushing José to prioritize his education?

Q: Did you sympathize more with the characters in this novel than the ones we have read so far?

9 thoughts on “Black Shack Alley: Sacrifices Made for Us (Feb 13)”

1. Hey! I definitely agreed with your comments on the book. I related to Jose a lot as a POC as well as the first in my family to go to college. I also saw parallels of M’man Tine with my own parents, who sacrificed a lot for me to be able to pursue higher education. I view education as a personal investment for the future, and so do my parents. Just like M’man Tine, I strongly support the emphasis on prioritizing education, recognizing its pivotal role in shaping not only individual lives but also contributing to the betterment of society as a whole.

2. Hi Jennifer,

I really enjoyed reading your blog post and agree with a lot of what you have said regarding Jose and his childhood. One thing I particularly agree with is how powerful Zobel contrasted the children’s life from the adults. The children were simply trying to live a joyful life but could not really do so because of the hard lives their parents and the adults were living. Also, to answer your first question I do agree with M’man Tines emphasis on education as I think it set up opportunities for Jose he otherwise he may not have had.

3. Jennifer, I liked that you were able to connect with how sometimes as kids we are oblivious to certain sacrifices made by our caretakers. You did a great job at pointing that, “Zobel contrasted the children’s perceived freedom with the burdens the adults faced.” Although Zobel does present the education as a pathway “to profess in terms of social class,” like you said its important to keep thinking about the ways the education was also colonial in a lot of ways.

Thanks for your comment!
    Tesi

4. Hi, Jennifer. Thanks for sharing. I sympathized with Jose at first, but thinking about it from another perspective, I feel that although his fate was bumpy, he was lucky compared to others. He has a grandmother who loves him and guides him towards a bright path. This is something other children don’t have, so I think it is very important for children to have a good parent.

5. Hi Jennifer, I also felt quite connected to the narrator. I think M’man Tine was right to prioritize an education for José, especially when you consider the other options available to young black children at this time. I found it was easier to sympathize with the characters in this book, partly due to the hardship they experience and partly due to the story being based on real events

6. Hi Jennifer, thanks for your post! In my family, we also prioritize education a lot and I think this is valuable. Likewise to Joel’s grandmother, I think my family sees the importance of not just obtaining a formal education, but also the process of becoming educated as well and how this helps us grow and become equipped for the world.

7. Hi Jennifer! First of all, I really liked the structure of your blog and how you broke it up into sections. To your first question about education, I think formal education can sometimes be important depending on the person. For Jose specifically, I think M’man Tine’s push to the formal education helped him to get into learning and was important, but eventually he prioritized and enjoyed reading and learning outside of formal education more.