Mad Toy: What Do We Live Our Lives For? (Jan 22)

A. Initial Thoughts

Though “Mad Toy” is much shorter than Marcel Proust’s “Combray”, I found it tougher to get through. As I read, I often wanted to stop because it seemed like the story was just going in circles, with Silvio repeatedly failing to break out of poverty. But after finishing the book and taking some time to reflect on it, I began to grasp its underlying theme. In my opinion, the book demonstrates the lives of people struggling with poverty against the backdrop of rapid societal changes in 20th century Buenos Aires (Arlt 2).

B. Important Themes: Going Beyond Our Station & Figuring out Life’s Meaning

Set in early 20th-century Buenos Aires, 14-year old Silvio Astier turns to petty crimes as a means to break free from his impoverished background. He witnesses the toll of poverty on his single mother. Additionally, Silvio yearns for a life where he can enjoy simple pleasures with his sister, like going to the movies or visiting Palermo, as opposed to seeing her “grow pale as she bent over her books studying” (Arlt 100). These aspects of his family life contribute to his sense of urgency in seeking a way out of poverty. However, I think that this ambition, rooted in his challenging upbringing, sometimes leads him to make decisions that result in setbacks, such as being expelled from the military academy as the school “[doesn’t] need smart people here, just dumb brutes who can work” (Arlt 99). It seems that Silvio’s aspiration for a better life is unattainable, a sentiment shown in the phrase “marked by God” (Arlt 21), which demonstrates how an individual’s social class predetermines their struggles and limits their opportunities for success.

Silvio’s (now 15) time at Don Gaetano’s bookstore represents a significant shift in his life. Here, he encounters a path that could lead him out of poverty and offer a more conventional lifestyle. However, I believe Silvio feels a sense of alienation in this new world as he faces many humiliations from Don Gaetano and Dona Maria; one of them being moving furniture in a wheelbarrow on Lavalle Street, where he sees the rich civilians move out of his way “if only to avoid being smeared by the filth [he] was carrying” (Arlt 75). This internal conflict culminates in an act of rebellion: where Silvio tries to start a fire in the bookstore by “grabbing a coal and tossing it at the papers piled up against some shelves loaded with books” (Arlt 81). This moment is a powerful statement against the powerlessness of poverty, where Silvio finally feels liberated and yearns to start “ador[ing] all the beautiful things of Earth” (Arlt 83), instead of being constrained by the money his employers pay him. After this incident, Silvio decides that it would be “the last day [he] worked [at the bookstore]” (Arlt 83), signifying the end of his attempt to conform to a conventional lifestyle. I perceive this as a moment where Silvio chooses to steer away from a past dominated by the pursuit of money, seeking a different path for his future.

This theme becomes particularly evident in Silvio’s interactions with Rengo. When Rengo suggests a scam against his girlfriend’s employer, Senor Vitri, it mirrors the kind of life Silvio is striving to leave behind, reminiscent of his times at the Midnight Horseman Club and with the Gaetanos. Silvio’s decision to betray Rengo is pivotal. More than a mere personal conflict, it represents Silvio’s conscious effort to break away from the detrimental aspects of his past (which was determined by earning money) and carve a new path for himself:

“I know that life will always be extraordinarily beautiful for me. I don’t know whether other people will experience the force of life as I do, but inside of me there is joy, a full, unconscious kind of joy.’’ (Arlt 150) 

In this moment, Silvio has a realization – the pursuit of money can no longer dictate the course of his life. He recognizes the need to embark on a new journey, one that promises a different kind of fulfillment and joy.

C. Concluding Thoughts

Through the character of Silvio, Arlt shows us the societal challenges faced in 20th century Buenos Aires. I see the narrative as capturing the essence of a society undergoing significant transition, portraying the struggles of individuals like Silvio who find themselves in the midst of rapid urbanization and sweeping societal changes (Arlt 1-2).

D. Questions for Discussion

Q: Why did Senor Souza (the occult doctor) not give Silvio a job? Why did he call him “mad” (surmenage)?

Q: Why did Silvio hate Lucio so much when they were younger? Is it just youthful annoyance, or do you think it’s something deeper?

Q: What was the purpose of the scene with Silvio’s interaction with the man at the hotel? Was it to show the different lives of outcasts in Buenos Aries?

Q: What was the purpose of Enrique’s character? He was shown in part 1 but never makes an appearance again, other than in the conversation between Lucio and Silvio.

5 thoughts on “Mad Toy: What Do We Live Our Lives For? (Jan 22)”

1. Hi Jennifer,
    A phrase that is repeated in this book is, “That’s life” after an unfortunate event. I think Irzubeta was used as an example that life can take one anywhere. For Lucio, life gave him success. However, Irzubeta was not favoured by life. For Silvio’s case, it seems that life is taking him to the right path by the end of the book after being suffered for long.

2. Janae, the outlook of life that the book gives is definitely very grim. You did a great job in considering along with the historical and political context of Argentina. The class struggle is clear as is his desire to move forward. Good job following the character’s life narrative and connecting it with these big themes.
    Thanks for your comment!

3. Hi Jennifer, for the question “Why did Silvio hate Lucio so much when they were younger”, I feel like rather than youthful annoyance its possible that Silvio was envious of Lucio’s higher social status, which allowed him to have opportunities that were not possible for Silvio.

4. Hi Jennifer, when I read the novel, I also wondered why Enrique was never mentioned again. However, I think his character served the purpose of telling the readers what Silvio was willing to do or be around in exchange for a feeling of belonging. He lied to his mother about why he was leaving when he realized Enrique was in trouble which to me, displayed the conflicting responsibilities Silvio was juggling throughout the book.