Recently, I happen to stumble upon this video on the website of one of my other psychology classes. Titled “Public Execution”, it was created for World AIDS Day in 2011. The director of the video makes the case that social exclusion is what “kills” those living with HIV/AIDS.

“Public Execution”- AIDS Discrimination PSA from MARQ Films on Vimeo.

Though not as directly related to biopsychology, I believe that the issues of stigmatization and discrimination are important to address. Even in a highly developed and liberal part of the Western world, these issues are still very present in Vancouver. Sure, there are rainbow crosswalks along Davie Street, the city hosts its annual Pride Parade, and people are becoming more accepting of the LGBT population. In spite of this, I personally think that there is much less awareness, acceptance, and tolerance for those living with HIV/AIDS.  Likewise, I also believe that populations affected by homelessness and addiction face similar difficulties. As mentioned in earlier blog posts, I would accompany some of the residents of the Dr. Peter Centre to various destinations. I have pushed residents in wheelchairs and walkers to Tim Hortons, restaurants, Mac’s Convenience Store, grocery stores, etc. Quite often (if not always), we have always been stared at by strangers, as if there was something peculiar with us. I’m not sure what exactly it is that makes us stare-worthy. Is it because of our appearance? Our behaviour? The way we dress? Do people somehow know that they are looking someone who is living with HIV/AIDS? More often than not, I think it’s the silence that reveals people’s negative attitudes towards some of the unfortunate folks. The fact that I wear an ID tag in public doesn’t exactly help my cause, either.

The truth is, the majority of people living with HIV can live a fulfilling life if they adhere to their medication. An HIV positive person on their prescribed medication can live a near normal lifespan, and is 96% less likely to transmit the disease (“Food and Nutrition”, n.d.).

Source: Vancouver Sun. http://www.vancouversun.com/life/City+unveils+rainbow+crosswalk+  Pride+Week+kicks+Vancouver/8720930/story.html

In terms of the quality of care the residents receive at the Centre, they are quite exceptional. There are nursing staff that continually work around the clock. In terms of food, only the finest, nutrient-dense dishes are cooked up and served by the chef. Additionally, there are daily social activities that are organized and hosted by the recreational therapist. The living arrangements within the Centre are actually quite nice: they are fully furnished, comfortable, warm, and complete with a spectacular, million-dollar view of the city. Admittedly, the housing and the menu arrangements at the Centre at much better than some of the residents at UBC! That aside, if we only consider living arrangements, it’s clear that the residents are fortunate to live in a wholesome and stable environment.

Source: CANFAIR. http://www.canfar.com/en_CA/p/canfars-30-days-for-30-years-day-9

Unfortunately, many residents express a degree of unhappiness. I’ve had conversations with people who’ve been abandoned by their families, or had loved ones pass away. Others will express their anger and frustration towards the world, having little good to say. Once, someone had told me that he was in “so much pain and wanted to die”. When I mentioned this to the nursing staff, they seemed to have (rather unfortunately) grown accustomed to the resident saying that. Obviously, there are endless factors that can explain for such feelings, but I instinctually know that much of it has to do with discrimination, social exclusion, and stigma. Speaking for myself, I rarely (if ever) mention to my family that I volunteer in a HIV/AIDS care home. Because Vancouver is a city full of people from different backgrounds, many of those who immigrate here still hold more traditional, conservative views of the world. My parents and other relatives are not the exception; they would highly frown upon my decision to volunteer at the Centre. I have no shame at all, but a part of me knows how I would be treated differently. It’s really difficult to think how people living with HIV/AIDS deal with social barriers on a daily basis. I think a large part of it has to do with fear- people fear what they don’t know.

On the bright side, there are the fortunate residents that lead happy lives. Friends and family members would drop by to visit them, often bringing them flowers or other gifts. They would spend time pursuing their hobbies, some which include learning how to play the piano, violin, gardening, reading, making floral arrangements, and painting. Some spend a part of their day on excursions within the community. Some build upon existing relationships with other people during those excursions, while creating new ones at the same time. My hope for the future is that this becomes the norm, and not the exception.

Dr. Peter AIDS Foundation. (n.d.). Food and Nutrition. Retrieved from http://www.drpeter.org/dr-peter-centre/programs-and-services/food-and-nutrition/food-and-nutrition