Discover your passion

After discussing in class the value and significance of employers pushing forth employee engagement, where they are to keep employees motivated and pleased in the workforce. I stumbled upon Jacob Shriar’s blog on “Passion at work is more important than engagement,” where he discusses about the difference between engagement and passion. He suggests that engagement with workers results in a source of happiness: happiness at work environment, happiness with employers, and happiness with coworkers. However, he claims that passion goes beyond that. If an employee holds passion in the workforce, they will not only feel happiness, but accomplishment.

I absolutely agree with Shriar’s stance. While, employers are trying to establish better relationship with their employee, such as providing working benefits as an incentive for workers to work harder, the employees must also hold its share of dedication to the workforce. Since, passion is an emotion where workers can devote themselves to the workforce even without a sort of reward. I understand how hard it is for employers to bring out their employees’ inner passion, because even for me I still haven’t figured out what I am most passionate for. Thus, I am so glad to discover that Shriar has listed tips to assist employers in finding their employees’ inner passion.

The following are the ones I find most useful:

1. Encourage workers to work cross-functionally
  2. Encourage workers to network with people in their industry
  3. Encourage workers to engage with customers
  4. Enabling workers to make a bigger impact, through things like collaboration tools both inside and outside the company
  5. Create an employee survey to find out how passionate the workers are
  6. Develop specific questions to ask during the next recruitment to find out how passionate the individual is
    1. What is the market/industry that you want to impact in the next 5-10 years?
    2. How will this job help you achieve that goal?

Shriar, Jacob. “Passion At Work Is More Important Than Engagement.” Office Vibe. Office Vibe, 24 Oct. 2014. Web. <http://www.officevibe.com/blog/passion-work-important-engagement>.