RE: “Acquisition, not Innovation”

Everyone has innovative ideas; it’s just the uncertainty of whether the world is ready to accept the idea. Dragon’s Den, a reality T.V series, displays many great entrepreneurs and innovators but only a number of them wins the judges investment. Does that mean they are an awful innovator?

When I encounter ­Adam Sibbald’s blog post where he discusses major corporations, like Google and Apple, buying off ideas or products, instead of creating and developing their own ideas. It got me thinking whether this solution is the best for these invisible creators.

As, I browse through the web, I staggered upon “4 Innovative Products You’ll want in 2014” site. Products shown there indicate how many people support these innovators through funding. What makes it unique is that these creators feel more accomplished than selling their creation to major corporations and companies, as they still have ownership of their products and their products are maintained and supported by their customers. Of course, innovators and entrepreneurs’ values vary from group to group, where one might want to establish a disruptive innovation and change the world, but for this specific group they are satisfied with the result.

Tips I learned to be a good innovator:

1. Look to the future: market trends, customer needs
  2. Take risks: do not get discourage by failures
  3. Hold passion: don’t make it feel like it’s mere work

Thus, whether creators sell their creations or keep their creations, the products’ worth and value depends on the creators.

Works Cited:

Chianis, Alexia. “4 Innovative Products You’ll Want in 2014.” Business Bee. Business Bee, 1 Jan. 2014. Web. <http://www.businessbee.com/resources/news/entrepreneurship-buzz/4-innovative-products-youll-want-2014/>.

Cohn, Chuck. “How To Stay Innovative In Your Industry.” Forbes. Forbes, 11 Oct. 2014. Web. <http://www.forbes.com/sites/chuckcohn/2014/11/10/how-to-stay-innovative-in-your-industry/>.