Thank you–My experience with the marketing plan assignments

The marketing plan assignments are the longest team assignment I have attended which you have to work in the same team from the beginning of the term to the end. These marketing plan assignments made me learn a lot.

Except for the course, these assignments again, let me know that marketing is developed from research. Only you have clearly understood the current environment, customers, and any other relevant information can you better communicate with your targets.

In my team, I acted as a researcher. Formerly, I considered that I only have to collect all the relative information. However, through these assignments, I learnt that I this was not my own assignment and my teammates did not read all pieces of information; therefore, I should also organize my information and make it friendly viewed so that my teammates could get to the point immediately. This experience taught me to think from a team.

Communication is an important in a team. I think that our team was lack of communication. Most of the time, we got together to discuss when we started the new assignment and assigned each other’s work, then we would not communicate at the end. As I look back now, if I could spend some time on communicating with other teammates or make everyone in the team to follow up frequently, we would do better. For example, if we could follow up when we work in our process, we could immediately found the mistake and correct it instead of gathering at the last minutes.

In the next time, I would challenge myself. Instead of choosing what I am skilled at, I would choose some tasks that I have not done before or I am not good at. Since we are at school, I think that I do not have to worry about the result, but the process and experience.  Moreover, I am in a team and we can help each other.

Lastly, I want to thank you my team. Thank you to make me grow, make me learn and make me laugh.

Leader Pricing

L’occitane is an international retailer of body, face, and home products. In January, L’occitane Canada announced that if anyone became fan of L’occitane on their Facebook homepage, they would get a free hand cream. If the fan amount exceed 60,000, the hand cream would upgrade to 30 ML which was worth $12. Within a few days, their fans had quickly exceed 60,000.

In my opinion, L’occitane’s marketing strategy was smart. Firstly, they g

From:http://extremecouponingmom.ca/canadian-freebies-free-sample-of-loccitane-hand-cream/

ave free sample to customers. For those customers who never had used L’occitane’s product, the free sample could get them informed. For those who were aware of L’occitane, the free sample could remind consumer. Besides, when customers left their contact message as they picked up their free hand cream, customers could get more free sample, which further got customers experience their products. Giving free sample would indirectly increase the sales of L’occitane. In addition, collecting customers email addresses, L’occitane could email customers new products or promotion, which further getting awareness from customers.

Furthermore, L’occitane used leader pricing marketing strategy. When customers received the coupon from their email, it also came with a 15% discount coupon. Therefore, we they picked up their free hand cream in store, they would also used the 15% discount coupon to buy any other products.

Lush,Trust?

From:http://www.lushusa.com/Fresh-Ingredients/fresh-ings,en_US,pg.html

Recently, I read an article name” Labeling and Defining Ingredients” from Christine Liang’s blog which impressed me. The author criticize that Lush is playing around on its ingredients and labeling. For example, they have loosely define some toxin ingredients and make little on the health risk of consumers when using this product.

Lush is considered as a customers value orientated firm. It has define its brand as the fresh handmade cosmetics. Customers can find their fresh and nature cosmetics in Lush with the reasonable prices.

In order to the build their brand, Lush has emphasized that they used all the fresh ingredients, buying ethically, green clean and against animal testing. They also build “lushopedia” to explain all their ingredients.

Lush want to provide all the positive information to consumers in order to make consumers to buy their products, and they succeed. However, Lush do  neglect the negative information to consumers. For example, Lush simplify its packaging. For example, if you buy a soap from Lush, they just warp without giving any information about the product such as ingredients and usage, because they assume that staffs have explained or consumers can find what they need through their website or booklet. Even though, they did not provide any concern or risk of using their product.

On marketing aspect, we can fully understand that Lush do not want to lose its consumers  because of those tiny negative information. However, as a consumer, it is fair for us the get the information.

The brand is the equity of a firm. Once consumers cannot trust the brand, the firm will lose its equity. Currently, consumers are still trusting Lush; however, it will hard to predict when an accident appears. Therefore, we encourage Lush to provide more detail information for customers about its products.

http://www.lush.ca/Our-Story/our-story,en_CA,pg.html

Horse meat labelled as “beef”

The horse meat scandal is rumored in Europe. It was found horse DNA in beef products in 16 European countries. The cheap horse meat was mixed in several of beef products in the complex supply chain. The scandal has beaten the consumers’ confidence to the meat industry. The video reported that more customers are preferred to buy the burger from the traditional artisan butchers.

It is customer’s preference to choose what to eat and what not to eat. However, mixing horse meat into beef and labeled as beef has cheated customers. Customers have not been valued at this case. The relationship among meat suppliers, meat producers and customers cracked. Because of the scandal, the credit of food safety in Europe has been beaten and it will take a long time to rebuild consumers’ confidence. Since the scandal has involved the whole supply chain of meat production, it is not only the issue of specifics producers, but the government of the Europe. Ranges of steps have to be pledged to strengthened customers confidence of meat production and food processing industries.

On the other hand, those producers who aim to provide the best quality of product have won the attention from customers after this scandal. Since these producers have treasured customers value, they have won advantages from other producers.

Reference:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2013/feb/23/horsemeat-scandal-francois-hollande

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/retailandconsumer/9890008/Horse-meat-crisis-prompts-retailers-group-to-review-food-safety-scrutiny.html

http://www.cnn.com/2013/02/23/world/europe/france-horse-meat-probe/index.html

Think, Fell, Do

Recently, I  have read a blog on Drew’s Marketing Minute blog which talked about the two of the best Superbowl commercials. Drew’s opinion is that these commercials can touch people’s heart but may not be able to encourage people to buy their products. Drew’s opinion reminds me one of the psychological factors of consumer behavior which is attitude. Both of these two ads have successfully catch people’s attention by telling a touching story. People firstly moved by the story (feel) and when the commercials end they understand the idea the commercial or the brand is trying to deliver (think). Lastly, their recognition of the brand may influence their behavior. Since these ads are full of positive energy which leave consumers a good imagine of the brand and therefore consumer are willing to understand their products. Though as Drew mentioned, these ads may not be able to ask consumer for a real purchase, it at least make consumer remember them.

Reference:

http://www.drewsmarketingminute.com/2013/02/touching-my-heart-doesnt-necessarily-touch-my-wallet.html#comments

Is Coca-Cola really coming together with us?

On January 14, 2013, Coca-Cola launched a two minutes long ad which named “coming together” on CNN, Fox News and MSNBC during their highest-rate shows; they intend to show that they are there to against obesity with the Americans.

In the ad, Coca-Cola indicated that lack of exercise is the most important reason for American getting obesity, and they pointed out that all food may cause obesity but not only sugary soda. Also, in the ad they emphasize their efforts on reducing the calorie in the soft beverage. As the world’s largest soda producer, Coca-cola is obscuring their responsibility on obesity. Firstly, they choose the highest-rate television slot to launch their ad which makes more people get their information. Secondly, they are delivering misleading information to the public make public treat lightly on sugary soda.

On the face of the ad, Coca-cola is on the same side of public on the issue of obesity. However, from the benefit of Coca-cola, we can find that through this ad Coca-Cola is trying to ensure its sales growth and enhance its brand image. This makes us be suspicious of Coca-Cola. Are they really coming together with us to against obesity?

About one third of the sugar in American’s diet come from soda and sweetened beverages, and sugar is one of the reasons build up the issue of obesity. In order to face the problem of obesity, it is hard to avoid the decline of sales of sugary soda. Is there a win- win ethical strategy for public and soda producers?