The New Digital role of TV ads

I found a blog from Harvard Business Review written by Shiv Singh, Global Head of Digital for PepsiCo Beverages, about the new digital role of TV ads and I decided to give my opinion based on what he is saying.

It is true that television advertising has changed along the years, helping different brands achieve their short and long term goals. It is true that now we are more engaged in advertising than people did a few years ago, although companies are still trying to achieve the same goal, by the first choice in the consumer’s mind.

I hadn’t stopped to think of the power we’ve given social media, letting it come into every aspect of our lives, not only do we see advertising in TV but also in the computer or cell phones at the same time, increasing the company’s opportunities of entrance.

That is why advertisement is really important for a brand, because by getting the right story or narrative they can remind consumers about their product. The catchier, stickier and shorter your phrase, the faster it enters customer’s mind.

One part I disagree with is the power loss TV is going to have along the years. It is true that internet, cell phones and computers are getting more popular across youth, but TV is still something people do for fun while doing other things, so instead of having new technologies as replacements we could use them as complements to help companies get their message across all imaginable ways.

As Shiv said “Reflecting that and sharing it with wider audiences in ways that correlate to the brand’s objective, is going to become the new role for TV advertising”, technology will help companies get the feeling of what customers want before creating the product, which could lower costs of production and increase future sales if they accomplish a more interactive way of staying in consumer’s minds.

To read the whole blog post go to this link: http://blogs.hbr.org/cs/2011/11/the_new_role_of_television_adv.html