A Letter of Application

947 E Hastings St
Vancouver, BC V6A 0G7

September 10, 2019

ENGL 301 Technical Writing Class
University of British Columbia
2329 West Mall, Vancouver, BC V6T 1Z4

Dear Technical Writing 301 class:

My name is Jobina Tamminga and I am applying for the role of professional writing team member for a writing team in ENGL 301. I am a 5thyear student studying computer science and biology at UBC. I think that I would be a great professional writing team member because I have experience working with a variety of technical writing styles throughout my degree and in past internships. I also pay attention to detail and put forth my best effort in all assignments. I am comfortable taking a leadership role in group activities, and I make sure that the work gets done.

Studying multiple subjects has given me a wider breadth of experience than most students. I have written technical documents about my own software in both a professional setting and in school. These technical documents were written for both educated and non-educated audiences with the purpose of explaining how the software works and how to use it. In past internships, I have written instructional documents with the purpose of instructing new employees how to set up and run my programs when I left. I also have extensive experience with professional communication within a workplace such as emails and memos. I have experience technical writing within a life science approach as well through scientific papers, research proposals and lab reports in both biology and chemistry. Lastly, I have extensive job application experience applying to many internship positions which includes numerous cover letters, resumes and interviews.

I would say my biggest strength when it comes to technical writing is giving strong reasoning and logical arguments. Since I have a science background, I have been trained to look at problems or requirements and produce solutions that meet all of the requirements. Similarly, I look at the instructions for an assignment, and I make sure that I hit all of the requirements. This can also be a weakness as my writing sometimes lacks the flow that an experienced writer might have. I am also what some would say am a “keener” as I enjoy completing projects as early as I can since leaving things until the last minute is quite stressful for me.

My learning philosophy is that I try to get the most out of every class. I try to get the best result without overworking myself. I think that through organization and effort, any group can have a great outcome.

Please feel free to contact me further if you have more questions about my experience or my learning philosophy at jobina.tamminga@gmail.com. I look forward to hearing from you.

Best,

Jobina Tamminga

301 Jobina Tamminga Application Letter