Reflection: Creating a Web Folio

A Web Folio is an important tool that highlights all of an individual’s accomplishments and achievements. The design and content of the Web Folio will depend upon the target audience. For example, for an individual entering the job market, the Web Folio would be designed to include marketable skills relevant to the career path. However, for an individual entering graduate school, the Web Folio would underscore all their academic achievements and future goals.

For our final assignment in ENGL 301, students were tasked with creating a Web Folio which showcases all their work and growth throughout the semester. I wanted to create a Web Folio which would highlight all of my best work and illustrate how I incorporated new writing techniques that could be transferrable into future professional settings.

Upon analyzing my previous UBC blog page, I decided to create a new UBC blog page as opposed to re-use my old one due to several reasons. Firstly, while initially I thought that the dark theme looked aesthetic, I later discovered that the dark background made it difficult to read my content. In addition, there were multiple factors in the layout that I did not like. When working on my old blog site, I found that the layout was not easy to navigate and did not provide me with options to improve this. Thus, due to the reasons outlined above, I created a new page on UBC blogs for my web folio.

For my new Web Folio page, I knew the two most crucial aspects I needed to address was the color background and easy link navigation. After testing many of the themes available, I decided upon the Flounder Theme as it met all my criteria. There was a dark color that I always like; however, it was not a pure black color like in my previous theme, which makes the content easier to read. Moreover, there are lots of options available for navigation links which makes it much easier for readers to access.

While designing my Web Folio, I planned my layout to be visually appealing yet still professional-looking with user-friendly navigation. I accomplished this goal through a combination of different colors and using the Flounder Theme. I incorporated relevant pictures for pages in my Web Folio and included easily clickable links that would give viewers the best user experience. Many of my work from ENGL 301 was included such as the application package, reflections for each unit, and all my best works such as the formal report and definitions assignment. To individualize my Web Folio, I created a page with pictures and links to all the organizations that I am associated with, including a short narrative for each association.

Overall, I really enjoyed designing this Web Folio. While I am not the most creative person, I found this final assignment to be very open-ended and allowed me to create what I wanted. I am very happy with what I created as it is a good mixture of being both visually appealing and professional. Moreover, as I was compiling all my previous works and doing final revisions, I noticed how my writing style had changed over the term as I started incorporating new techniques such as writing with a you-attitude. This was a concept I was not familiar with before and will be using it consistently moving forward.