Hello Class!

Hello class! My name is Jorge Porter and I am a first year student in the Global Citizens stream of the Coordinated Arts Program (CAP).  The past week has been very busy and chaotic but I can honestly say that I’m very much looking forward to my first year at UBC. I was born and raised in East Vancouver, and while I am definitely a proud Vancouverite, I am also a first generation Canadian and cherish being a part of the diverse community that is Vancouver. Both my parents immigrated from Argentina in the 80’s and my decision to take this class definitely stems from this Latin American heritage.

Over the next 13 weeks I hope this course allows me to delve into Latin American culture and issues that, until now, I have not thoroughly explored. Having been part of an education system that focused primarily on Western society, the idea of learning about Latin America is both refreshing and exciting and I can’t wait to start. Obviously, my Latin American roots give this class extra meaning because for me, my background and history of how I got to where I am is very important. I hope to take full advantage of this opportunity to explore these roots and look forward to meeting you all!

Jorge Porter