Reflections Week 3: The Oxymoron of Expansionary Conquest and the Legacy of Racial Uniformity

Hi all. For this week’s blog entry, I will discuss some elements that caught my attention while listening to this week’s lecture from Jon Beasley-Murray.

To commence, one thing that I find interesting about Empires and Imperialism is how such empires believe that conquest and territorial expansion will prove their culture and nation as victorious and superior, although such a thing is in itself an oxymoron. In fact, as briefly mentioned in the lecture, Spain has always had (at least) a dual identity, composed of a Christian European and a Muslim Arab heritage. It is all made even more heterogenous when considering the presence of people of Jewish background, immigrants, and other minority groups as part of the mix. Additionally, such a conquest and expansion only served to open Spain’s borders and cultural identity, rather than isolate it.

Another thing that I found fascinating was the introduction of some Casta paintings, originating from Spanish colonial Mexico and Texas. To elaborate, I noticed that although the racial and ethnic differences and similarities were purposefully highlighted, there were also significant similarities between the types of clothing worn by individuals and families, no matter their racial or ethnic background. For instance, some Whites were wearing clothes that could be perceived as part of a “lower class” denomination compared to some Mixed, Black or Indigenous peoples that were part of more apparently affluent families. Thus, society would also be divided on wealth rather than only on race and ethnicity.

Finally, I could also relate to this kind of ethnic and racial divide on a personal level, as it is highly present in all three places I have lived in before moving to Vancouver, namely Quebec, Lyon and Chiapas. In Quebec, we almost only rely on three ethnic groupings: White (also called Pure laine or Pure wool), Metis (referring to a mix between White and Indigenous or First Nations), and non-White. Although a lot of people are mixed, we usually call them according to their non-White half. There is also still a lot of work to be done to integrate Africans, Middle Eastern peoples and Asians into society, although Latino peoples are usually better integrated, as they have a easier time learning French and have similar values to that of Quebecois people. France has a very similar problem. To conclude, most individuals in Mexico (especially the part of the population that is university-educated, White, and/or part of the economic and political establishment) still associates higher social and economic status with whiteness. Indigenous or mixed populations, it is important to note, also usually have a harder time finding work, housing, getting loans, being protected by the state and police, and so forth. Thus, although more than a century has passed since slavery was abolished and these practices were abandoned, there is still a lot of work to be done regarding equal rights and opportunities for all ethnic and cultural groups in our modern societies.

Joseph

6 thoughts on “Reflections Week 3: The Oxymoron of Expansionary Conquest and the Legacy of Racial Uniformity

1. Jon

“conquest and expansion only served to open Spain’s borders and cultural identity, rather than isolate it.”

This is certainly true (and not just of Spain, but also of other imperial powers such as Britain and France): though Imperialism is largely premised on racial difference, and indeed racial superiority, in practice Empires tend (at least in part) to undermine such differences, and perhaps even such a sense of superiority. Some mixture almost always ensued, and it is often the site of intense anxiety or denial. I think the casta paintings is one place in which such anxiety shows through.

1. Joseph Bouchard Post author

That is exactly correct, this was an issue that persisted throughout the imperial period. It is interesting to see how the people in power used to (and still do today to some extent) to control the historic and political/social narrative in order to maintain hegemony and project superiority.

2. valeria perez

Hi! I also found the fact that most ofthe people in the Casta Paintings, no matter their “box”, had similarcharacteristics in the clothing they’re wearing. It got me thinking if it’sjust a way to portray “wealth rather than only race and ethnicity” (as yousaid), or also a way for conquerors to portrait hierarchies as a type of mirrorof their society and disguise the audience and consumers of this type of artfrom the real meaning of Castas.

1. Joseph Bouchard Post author

Hi Valeria! That is correct! That leaves us to wonder whether we would (or should) divide the world in terms of economic or financial groups rather than on ethnic, cultural or racial lines. Just something to ponder about.

3. felipe grosso

Hey Joseph,

I loved your post. How do you suggest we start fighting that association between whiteness and higher social status?

Un abrazo, hermano.

1. Joseph Bouchard Post author

Hey Felipe,

Thank you for the kind words! I believe one way to do this would be both by displaying more middle-class and low-class White folks in popular representations and culture, as well to represent people from all economic and social classes for other ethnic and cultural groups. This would be in order to stop racial prejudices, at least on economic and social lines.

Un gran abrazo mi amigo.

Joseph