#ShakeEbolaOff: The New ALS Ice Bucket Challenge?

Courtesy EndEbolaNow.com

If you have any sort of social media account, then you’ve probably heard of the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge that has been going around for the past couple of months. In the summer, I would see Ice Bucket Challenge videos pop up on my feeds every day, created by both friends and celebrities alike. The social media campaign directly helped the ALS Association to raise $15.6 million in 3 weeks, nine times what it normally makes in the same time frame.

Another major news topic in recent months has been the Ebola crisis in West Africa, which is just starting to gain awareness in North America. During the past summer, five people from Sierra Leone started a website called EndEbolaNow.com, which aims to raise awareness and money for the Ebola crisis.

EndEbolaNow has teamed up with Emergency USA to create a new video dance challenge called #ShakeEbolaOff. Essentially, it is the same concept- you film yourself dancing, post it on social media, and nominate your friends to do the same and to donate to Emergency USA.

In my opinion, while I feel that there is potential for virality, this campaign just doesn’t have the shock value, the simplicity, and the comedic effect that the Ice Bucket Challenge did. All it did was require you to dump a bucket of ice water over your head- simple and funny, no matter how many times you watch it. But the #ShakeEbolaOff challenge requires a lot more thought and and creativity, and not everyone is comfortable with dancing AND posting it on social media for everyone to see.

However, the campaign has already attracted celebrities such as Kevin Bacon to take up the challenge, and their goal is to raise $1 million for the fight against Ebola- so if the Ice Bucket Challenge could raise $100 million within a month, let’s see how much we can raise to end Ebola.