At the Last Chapter

I cannot believe that this is the last blog that I will be writing for Span 312. I have grown to be quite fond of this weekly ritual, and in some sense it has provided me some peace in the tumultuous nature of university workloads and schedules. In the beginning I did think the amount of reading might be overwhelming but in the blink of an eye, I have read more than 10 books, which is quite a feat. Im glad that I already surpassed my usual yearly reading goal!

Looking back at my first blog, I’m not quite sure how this happened, but every expectation I had has been met very firmly. I have now experienced literature across multiple cultural backgrounds, spanning across various themes and stories and styles. I got to read stories about all kinds of characters, from a cursed incest-ridden family to political activists or serial killers. Needless to say, I feel like my understanding of literature has enriched so greatly from the exposure to such diverse storytelling and I’m all for it, even though many of them were challenging reads. They certainly weren’t books I would pick up myself, and I’m glad to have found myself in a situation where I am forced to read them, and that I got to experience it with everybody else so we could help each either dive deeper.

Looking back, I feel like I had a good trajectory towards what I thought Latin American literature consisted of, and that’s largely because the books that I did read (Chronicles of a Death Foretold, The Bread the Devil Knead, The Dangers of Smoking in Bed) actually provided some good clues towards certain elements of Latin American literature, especially concerning the gender attitudes that come across. The machismo male archetype and the gender role that women fulfill often times were constructs that the novel we read in class all provided more context and evidence, that has now build to a more holistic knowledge of this notion. From Captain Pantoja, to 20 love poems, or even the underdogs, a plethora of novels has provided more insight into the overall cultural attitudes towards gender. But once again, this class did also affirm reading these books did break the box of what counts as “Latin American Literature”, as comparing and contrasting across the reading list, all of them provided something unique, and sometimes even contradictory notions of things, that a sweeping generalization is hard to make when the each offer something really different. What I can say is, I’m really glad that the overarching theme of this class was “play”, as I do think that is the biggest commonality across all the novels, so kudos to Jon to organizing it around something so clever.

It was an indescribable pleasure to come to class every week knowing that you guys would be there and we would get to talk about all of this together, as I truly believe that those are the university moments that we came to this institution for, and would remember back upon with great fondness. I look forward to being able to do this again this week, once and for all.

Cheers everyone!

Fever Dream

This book is probably my personal favourite read of the course so far, as I feel like it’s the most narratively enjoyable one to date. The entire pace of the book, the going back and forth between Amanda trying to recall what happened and tell David, to Amanda experiencing all these weird events with Nina was so tastefully paced that the tension builds very nicely and the focus of the book is very taut. In some ways this sort of reminds me of Jordan Peele movies, where the feeling of dread is very palpable and you cling on to each moment in an effort to figure out this situation. This is probably one of the only books that I read as quickly as I did. There are a lot of notable elements to this novel, such as the book opening with Amanda trying to recall back, or ending with her husband trying to figure out more what happened. All these “set ups” to the novel contribute something more to the effect of the story and adds a lot of dimension and richness to the method of storytelling; I really have a lot of admiration for the way this story was crafted.

After watching the lecture video, I realized there was a lot of contextual background that needed to be known if you wanted to understand the story much more clearly. And I think this sort of answers the question in the lecture video; the lack of explanation around what is going on magnifies the feeling of mystery and anxiety because you DON’T know what is going on, and you sure as hell wanna figure it out because it’s making you anxious. I think that the mystery of the circumstance also builds to the more mystical elements of the book, such as the later concepts of soul-switching and animals randomly dying. Altogether, the story reads more like you’re experiencing a fever dream 😉

Another interesting thing I noticed is, I somehow understood without knowing it that the author was female. I think this might come from the depiction of Nina and Amanda’s relationship, or the familiarity of the socialization between females when looking at the interactions between Amanda and Carla, but I think even beyond that this book’s worldview was very much portrayed through a feminine lens for me somehow.

To finish off with a question to you all, Im curious how you guys felt about the soul switching part of the book. Do you believe in the idea of souls and why or why not? To extend, what do you think about the woman’s ability to switch souls?

Papi: from the eyes of a child

The book this week was quite a change a pace compared to the other reads in this course. The narration from the child’s perspective is quite a unique one compared to other books with a youthful and innocent narrator; there are a lot of nice stylistic touches that reminded me of my own childhood as well. In particular, the narrator created a list (I’m not quite sure what the point of it was) that detailed how the world is broken up into 3 places, or types of “spells” such as yawning and “attacks”. I don’t know where the childhood fixation on creating weird lists of things comes from, but I think the effect of the text was very strong. It certainly reminded me of all the goofy things I was up to as a child, and really brought me back to how you view life when you are younger. Perhaps that is a child’s own way to figure out and establish some control for the world around them, as if to say “I was here, and I experienced all of this, and I want you to know that I figured all this out”.

One thing I didn’t expect from this book was for the focus to not be solely on how parental roles influence the way our lives play out, or to outline the different ways different parents and their actions influence the way children grow up (basically, some form of trauma dump). Obviously the focus of the book is the relationship between these characters within this family, but the personal relationship (or emotional development, better put) between the narrator and Papi are quite distant at times, speaking from seeing a choppy focus of her emotional journey with these parental figures through all these tumultuous events. I think a better example/ piece of evidence would be how Mami is portrayed throughout this story, and how her significance to the narrator is not really conveyed, as if they way they live together isn’t moulding who she is as a person. They merely appear as “figures”. To some effect, the distance does highlight that gap between her and Papi, in that he is often not there when he says he will be or shows up when it wasn’t expected of him to. This probably reveals a message about distant fathers and the fascination and admiration that comes with such an enigmatic figure.  But I think another reason for this portrayal is to convey a broader message that isn’t limited to the theme of “family” or “parental figures”, as Jon said in the lecture video, maybe it is to convey other effects such as the portrayal of the macho cacique archetype, or some broader societal meaning.

To end with a question, how did you feel about the narrator’s childlike storytelling; did it remind you of anything, or was there anything especially notable to you about it? Why so?