Assignment 1:1 – Introductions

Hi, and welcome to my Blog for ENGL 470. I’ve come to call Edmonton, Victoria, and Madrid home. I’m a Native Edmontonian, but made the upgrade to the West Coast to attend university at the University of Victoria. Island life had me at hello; I fell in love with the cool casualness of Vancouver Islanders, sunsets on Dallas Road, and the coffee shop culture. After graduating from UVic with my bachelor’s in education, I headed to Spain to teach for about a year and a half. Mi español remains sub-par at best, but my appreciation of cheese and wine grew exponentially, and given the many public holidays Spaniards are presented with, I was able to travel to many of the cities on my bucket list (still missing Bucharest, Wroclaw, and St. Petersburg, among others – if anyone’s been and has recommendations!). I taught mostly high schoolers in Spain and realized that secondary school is the place for me, so I’m back at university taking the English classes that will allow me to teach English as a secondary teacher. After that, my hope is to do my masters in school counseling, but we’ll see what happens!

Canadian literature is a complicated genre, one I haven’t explored enough. In this course, we will conquer our fears, misconceptions, and prejudices; we will have an opportunity to consider whose voices we are hearing and why; and we will consider the implications of the medium in which we take in stories. We will learn to navigate the “gradations of truth” (Chamberlin 22), the denials of our shared history, and the many intersections between Indigenous peoples and settlers that make up Canadian history and literature.

I’m not the most technologically inclined of humans, and so I’m excited to experience an online course and how blogging will give us an opportunity to reflect on and respond to our peers differently than in a lecture hall. I took an Indigenous Literature class last semester and while I learned a lot regarding de/colonization, Indigenous storytelling, and reconciliation efforts between Indigenous peoples and Canada, I am hoping to further my understanding of Canadian literature. Mostly, as a non-English major, I’m so jazzed to learn from you all and to adapt and implement all that I learn here into my teaching as a high school educator. I know that for me, growing up in Edmonton, Indigenous literature and ways of knowing were rarely included in my education; with the new curriculum being implemented in BC, I think it’s becoming easier for educators to reframe their teaching to fit with the First Peoples Principles of Learning, and I’m wildly excited to take part in this shift at the beginning of my career.  

This is a photo of my favourite bookstore in Madrid, Spain. Named Desperate Literature, it’s a hole in the wall in one of the quaintest parts of Madrid. The owners quote Joaquin Font on their website and in their bookstore: “There are books for when you’re bored. Plenty of them. There are books for when you’re calm. The best kind, in my opinion. There are also books for when you’re sad. And there are books for when you’re happy. There are books for when you’re thirsty for knowledge. And there are books for when you’re desperate.” I fell in love with this articulation and this beautiful little hole in the wall place.

“BC’s New Curriculum.” Building Student Success – BC’s New Curriculum,
curriculum.gov.bc.ca/curriculum-updates. Retrieved 26 Nov. 2018.

Chamberlin, J. Edward. If This is Your Land, Where Are Your Stories? Finding Common Ground. Vintage Canada, 2004. Print.

First Nations Education Steering Committee. “First Peoples Principles of Learning.” http://www.fnesc.ca/wp/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/PUB-LFP-POSTER-Principles-of-Learning-First-Peoples-poster-11×17.pdf. Retrieved 5 Jan. 2019.

“Government Launches New Grade 10 Curriculum.” British Columbia Government, 6 Sept. 2018, news.gov.bc.ca/releases/2018EDUC0046-001710.

10 Replies to “Assignment 1:1 – Introductions”

1. It sounds like you have a great background that brought you here! I’m curious to hear more about your experience in the European school system, especially in comparison to the B.C. curriculum. Did Spanish students have a general view (I’d like to avoid the term “stereotype”) when it comes to Canadian literature and/or Canada’s indigenous people? I often feel that Canadian themselves have a difficult time identifying what makes Canadian literature (or even Canadians themselves!) “Canadian”, and sometimes I feel that many of our feelings about this idea comes not from ourselves, but from the way others see us and our literature.
    I find it quite interesting that we will be exploring “the intersections and departures between European and indigenous traditions of literature and orature”, and you have had the opportunity to teach in an environment on the other side of the equation/ocean!

1. Thanks for your reply, Marianne! It was really interesting to teach in another country and to listen to other people speak about Canada. In terms of my students, they knew next to nothing about Canada; the culture in Spain, at least from my experience at my school, is one that is obsessed with the United States; I’d hear 12 years olds talking about how their biggest dream is to someday drive route 66, and they could pinpoint NYC, Miami, LA on a map with ease, but when we would discuss Canada, I’d get a lot of blank faces. Justin Bieber seemed to be the most Canadian thing they could relate to. 🙂 Even talking to my mostly American co-workers, the lack of knowledge they had about Canada’s historical and contemporary treatment of Indigenous peoples was pretty shocking.

1. Ah, I can’t say I’m surprised to hear that! I’m always interested to hear about what interest (or lack thereof) other countries have in Canada. I know “indigenous souvenirs” (i.e. dreamcatchers, jewelry, etc.) is often popular with tourists, and that always makes me wonder what individuals in other countries are hearing about our First Nations people.

2. I love Desperate Literature! I was introduced to the store by a Spanish friend of mine, while I was in Madrid a few years ago. I also hail from Edmonton (well, really a small town 2 hours northwest, but still). It’s a small world.

I’m interested to hear your insights over the course about the crossover and diversion regarding de/colonization and associated reading techniques. I’m a newcomer to Indigenous literature, and look forward to having the chance to interact with another student who has a little more experience!

On a slightly different note, I would like to add that many of BC’s teachers sadly do not feel as though they have the resources available to them to adequately engage with Indigenous knowledge in a meaningful way in the classroom (one of my projects last term looked at the BC curriculum change). They are often worried by their own lack of Indigenous knowledge, teaching the knowledge that they do have in a respectful way, and at the most basic level, they are overwhelmed with the task of including Indigenous knowledge that they have to source themselves. This not to say that it’s doomed to fail – far from it! Only that it’s just one step in the right direction, and the path is still long and hard ahead.

1. Ahhhhh that’s so cool that you’ve been there! I spent hours there during my time in Spain. What’s the town you’re from in Alberta called?

I totally agree with you about BC teachers feeling overwhelmed and unprepared to teach Indigenous principles and histories. I read this interesting article (https://thetyee.ca/News/2017/09/05/Bumpy-Start-for-BC-First-Peoples-Curriculum/) about the new curriculum and how teachers and students are feeling about it. They talk about how appropriate and effective resources are sometimes hard to come by; sometimes teachers themselves lack basic knowledge about Indigenous histories, and many times Indigenous students feel pressured by their teachers to act as classroom “experts.” The article also mentions that while most Indigenous individuals are on board with a non-Indigenous educator teaching Indigenous studies, there is a concern that without proper teaching and resources, non-Indigenous teachers may unintentionally end up teaching a “washing-down version of what different cultures are like” (McCarthy).

1. I’m from Whitecourt!

Also, that’s one of the articles that prompted my group project last term, so you’ve hit the nail exactly on the head with what I meant with my comment!

3. Hi Kirsten! Thanks for your great post! I think it’s so funny how similarly minded it already appears this class is. Whether that be an interest in teaching, or even being from the same town (or close enough) haha.

I was not aware of this curriculum change in BC, and I think it’s a great start, but would you agree that this change has put the pressure not he educators to make change and find their own resources to teach these subjects? From the articles you posted in your blog and previous comments it feels like the government instituted this change without any plan for how educators would actually implement it. I’d be curious to hear what someone who is doing the teaching thinks on the subject.
    Secondarily, do you agree with the assertion that non-indigenous teachers will end up giving a “washed-down version” of the history, either intentionally or not? And do you think there is a good way of preventing that from happening if you do agree?

4. Hey Ross, thanks for your post. It is really interesting to see all the different backgrounds that people are coming from, but how many are headed down the teacher education path.

I think you’re right, it’s a great start, but just a start. I think the government (and universities) have a long way to go in adequately preparing teachers to teach. I think for a lot of teachers, the curriculum changes won’t change their practice all that much, for some it’s because they’ve been successfully implementing indigenous lit, teachings, and principles for years already, but for others who, for various reasons (fear, ignorance, a lack of time, and a lack of resources) haven’t incorporated indigenous education into their curriculum will probably continue not to. I think the government has made solid attempts to supply teachers with resources… fnesc (First Nations Education Steering Committee – http://www.fnesc.ca/) is one I use frequently, and my school district (Greater Victoria) has some excellent ones (Aboriginal Nations Education Division – https://aned.sd61.bc.ca/resources.aspx), so I think it really depends what school district you work in. I think the biggest hindering factor, as is for so many issues, is money. I’ve found that the resources and connections are readily available, but when it comes to having an elder come speak to your class, or undertaking an Indigenous education fieldtrip, etc., there’s a lack of funding available to hire the right people, and take kids into “the real world.” That being said, I haven’t been teaching for that long, so I’m definitely not aware of all the grants and additional funding available for teachers in this area.

Regarding your second question, I think there is a chance that it could happen, but I’m not too worried. It might be blind optimism, but from my (albeit limited) experience in the school system so far, teachers are doing a pretty stellar job. I’ve also found that in schools where the population of Indigenous students is high, parents have continuously come up as being key players, where they lead presentations, dance workshops, button blanket art projects, etc. and that’s a pretty amazing thing to see! I think professional development is key, using your community and parent resources, a willingness to make mistakes, and to own those mistakes are crucial.

Cheers!

5. Hi Kirsten!

Nice to meet you, thanks for your post! I currently live in Victoria as well. (I’m assuming you are still here and not in Spain.) If you are here and ever feel like meeting up to study let me know.

We have a few things in common off the bat. It is my intention to teach High-school as well. I am also currently taking my Pre-requisites in English. I was planning on going to Spain to teach English as a second language, after graduation a few years ago, as a part of a program with the Spanish Ministry of Education., but that plan unfortunately fell through.

I have not had any classes on First Nation Education, culture, reconciliation or literature, as you know Uvic is doing a pretty good job of involving students in cultural education and social events. There are a few comments bringing up the fact that non indigenous teachers will end up giving a “washed down version of history” I am concerned that my own lack of knowledge might lead to that.

What are your thoughts between Cultural Appropriation and Cultural Appreciation? Do you think we as educators need to be hyper aware of the difference so that we do not propagate misinformation?

I was also wondering how you think, we as future teachers, can apply the “First People’s Principles of Learning” to our classes, not necessarily focused solely on First peoples. The principles seem extremely useful for whoever is practicing education in that way.

What do you think the differences would be in applying this strategy in a predominantly first nation’s class vs a predominantly non-indigenous class?

1. I am in Victoria! Where are your favourite study spots, any hidden gems?

That’s such a funny coincidence, as Spain doesn’t seem to be at the top of most people’s lists, I’ve had more friends head to Asia post-grad to teach English there. I fell in love with Spain though, so if you get a chance to teach there at some point, you definitely should!

I think teachers should be aware of cultural appropration and appreciation, and should, of course, strive to teach in a way that isn’t appropriating cultures, but I’m also of the frame of mind that I’d rather a teacher accidentally (but with good intentions) appropriate a culture with the aim of broadening his or her students’ perspectives than not to teach potentially appropriatory material because of fear. I definitely think there’s a differnce between cultural appropriation and propogating misinformation, where I (and others might fight me on this) would forgive appropriation so much more easily than teaching misinformations. I think the key for educators is our our education – taking the time to really learn what we are going to teach before we teach it, as well as accepting our limitations and bringing in individuals who do have the knowledge to share with our students.

I think of the First Peoples Principles of Learning (FFPOL) in the same way that I do differentiated learning (like giving students with autism access to headphones, or students with ADD/ADHD fidget tools) – that if you teach according to your outliers – those students with exceptionalities, every student will flourish. Just because a student doesn’t have ADHD doesn’t mean they won’t benefit from a fidget tool or specialized seating. So I think of the FPPOL in the same way, exactly how you phrase it – they’re useful for anyone practicing education, so implementing them cross curricularly would be stupendous. I think that in a predominantly indigenous class, I would be using parent and guardian knowledge much more – they would be amazing resources, and they’re right there! Whereas with a predominantly non-Indigenous class, I think it would be a lot more work to find accurate and appropriate resources, but definitel still doable – the classroom environment would take on more of a teacher as learner and student as learner mode.

Thanks for your comment, Sean!