A Dictionary of Bokononism

http://bernd.wechner.info/Bokononism/dictionary.html

Check out this link to see a list of words used to describe Vonnegut’s faux religion.

What do you guys think about the use of Bokononism in the text? Do you like or dislike it? If it is useful…why do you think it is?

5 thoughts on “A Dictionary of Bokononism

1. beckyellan

So far, I can see a pretty strong theme with Kurt’s books. He likes to take a critical look at religion. Personally, I enjoy the unraveling of Bokononism through the use of terms. I’m not sure exactly how useful it is, but maybe once I finish the book it might come into play. I enjoy the little quips and comparisons between whats going on and the terminology used in Kurt’s fictional religion. It seems to have a lot of the same themes that I discussed in my presentation, about finding love around you, and finding it within everyone. I really like the idea of mingling souls by touching together the soles of each others feet. It’s an interesting twist on spiritual rites. It definitely seems like a weird concept, since it seems to dispel religion all together, including itself. Saying that all religions, including Bokononism are based on lies, but then we get a cyclical argument, if all religion is a lie and therefore Bokononism is a lie, then can we believe that all religion is a lie?

2. Tyler

While Vonnegut seems to constantly put down religion using his own subtle ways, I also am finding evidence that he is also saying that it has value nontheless. In addition, I believe that near chapter 80, he maybe even has a negative attitude towards science. Tell me if I’m crazy, but there is one part, I cant remember what chapter (75-80) but Newt states that the Cat’s Cradle is bullshit. “Where’s the cat? Where’s the cradle?” he says….and later states, “No wonder kids grow up crazy. A cat’s cradle is nothing but a bunch of X’s between somebody’s hands and little kids look and look and look at all those X’s….No damn cat, no damn cradle.” Is Kurt Vonnegut trying to state that this is like science in that we are always searching and searching for something, but there is nothing really there? Or maybe he is talking about religion? What are your thoughts?

1. lee010

My interpretation of the repeated cats cradle references in the book was that it can look different depending on whos looking. I think the deeper meaning to it was that different people can take the same object, belief, or event and interpret it in whichever way they wanted. I think a good example of this could be ice nine. Ice nine was originally intended for military purposes, it was then created by Felix Hoeknikker out of pure childish curiosity, Frank used it as leverage to obtain his position as general, and it was ultimately used by “popa” monzano as an apocalyptic instigator. Depending on who possessed the ice nine, its observed purpose was different.

1. tonyeden Post author

that’s very interesting…my only question is what potentially disastrous effect could a Cat’s Cradle have on someone? Compare that to Ice-Nine and see that the consequences are much worse.

Perhaps “papa” has taken the suicidal bokononist rites to an extreme, while killing himself and taking the entire human race with him.

3. Pingback: Interprete Traducteur