Confession #1707: “I’m a freshman and I only cried twice. This week.”

Posted by in ASTU G01

University confessions, and other forms of “confession” pages, have become ubiquitous on Facebook and social media as a whole. As their popularity suggests, they can be seriously entertaining.

The UBC Confessions page, which has an impressive 16,526 likes, encourages students to “inbox us your most heart felt, disgusting, hilarious, filthy, and embarrassing confessions from UBC!”, assuring that “they will be posted ANONYMOUSLY on [the] page.”  The title of this blog post is an example of such. Anonymity is clearly a major motivator for contributors, for it provides a means to reveal controversial, humiliating, or deeply personal stories or sentiments with zero accountability. I highly doubt someone would want to admit “I was too lazy to do my laundry so I went commando for a week” (confession #1614 on the UBC page) to the general public if their name was also revealed. However, this feature can be considered a double-edged sword, for not all confessions are harmless.

The popularity of these pages can most likely be attributed to the voyeuristic motivations behind most media consumers—a subject discussed in Carolyn Miller and Dawn Shepard’s analysis of the weblog. People are inherently fascinated by and want to gain access to others’ private lives. While their research was focused on studying blogs, similar reasoning can be applied to help explain the appeal of these anonymous, secret-sharing forums.

The crumbling barriers between  what is public and private and the growing popularity of exhibitionism in media, both phenomenons Miller and Shepard discuss, are apparent aspects of the “confessions” trend. While it’s obvious why people would be fascinated by others’ secrets, why are people so willing to share intimate or self-incriminating information in the first place? One explanation could be that with a certain number of “likes” and comments on individual posts, popular confessions have the potential to achieve “celebrity” within the community of viewers. Comments on posts, which are not anonymous, have the opportunity to gain notoriety as well. Consequentially, these motivators help promote active participation, for many people try to gain attention—even when it’s uncredited—through their contributions to a particular page.

Confessions are nothing new in Western society, but through social media, the potential for the mass contribution and consumption of these personal declarations has reached unprecedented levels. Is the practice of sharing secrets on social media just a trend, or does it have the potential to evolve into something more?

Do you follow the “UBC Confessions” page? What purposes do you think it serves for both individual students and the UBC community as a whole?