Reading Week: Sir John Franklin Elementary School
About the project
Students in grades K to 7 will participate in fun activities that encourage healthy living and promote the school’s values of social responsibility and school health. Through engaging classroom activities, students will explore three topics: Healthy Eating, Active Living, and Healthy Relationships.
What you’ll do
- Engage students in health living and relate healthy living to daily practices in students’ lives
- Help students learn about healthy eating, active living, and social responsibility
- Encourage students to participate in engaging, fun activities that encourage personal wellbeing
- Help students find the “superhero” within themselves
Qualifications that would be helpful to this placement
- Background in Nutrition/Dietetics, Kinesiology, Dance, or Theatre
- Interest in working across disciplines
Tuesday, February 18
Wednesday, February 19
Thursday, February 20
250 Skeena St.
Vancouver, BC V5K 4N8
What’s the time commitment?
- Attend the mandatory Reading Week Kick-off orientation on Saturday, February 1st from 1-4pm on campus
- A few hours of prep work (can be done independently) in early February to learn the project activities before the project begins
- Three days (8:30am-3:30pm) over Reading Week.
Will I be working by myself or with others?
Each project will have a UBC student team ranging from 5 to 40 UBC students. You may work in smaller sub-groups within the project.
Am I expected to plan the project activities?
Your project leaders have been working since the fall to coordinate the objectives and details of the projects. You will have the opportunity to share your input on the activities. The level of input will vary across the different projects.
I’ve never worked with kids before. Can I still participate?
Yes! Participants working in schools will always be supervised by school staff. Take a look on each project page under the “Qualifications” section to see if this project is a fit for your experience and skills.
How do I get to the project site?
We encourage you to take public transportation to the project site. You can even coordinate with your team members to catch the bus together in the morning!
If you have further questions, contact us (UBC Centre for Community Engaged Learning)