(Mission: ImPULSEible Logo)
CALLING ALL POST-SECONDARY STUDENTS- JOIN THE CELEBRATION! (all programs welcome!)
The United Nations has declared 2016 the International Year of Pulses and it’s your turn to create the next new food product that could change the world by what we eat!
Your 2016 Mission, should you choose to accept: To create a delicious & healthy food product made from pulses (whole dry peas, beans, lentils & chickpeas) that showcases innovation in traditional foods to celebrate the 2016 International Year of Pulses. “Traditional foods” in this case can range from products that we know and love in North America to international cuisine that may not yet have pulses in them. Part of this mission is to show how you can creatively incorporate pulses into your food product, positively impact the overall nutrition, and to effectively market it to the industry. Whole pulses and pulse ingredients (flours, fractions) can be used.
What’s in it for you?
– GREAT networking opportunities to connect with the food industry!
– Develop a new food product while learning more about the global importance of pulses from a nutrition and food innovation perspective. You can take the knowledge learned from this competition anywhere you go- from joining a company to starting your own business!
– Opportunity to share your product innovation at the provincial level with fellow peers and competitors. (Date TBD)
– Provincial winners will have the opportunity to network and present at the National MI competition being held during the Canadian Institute of Food Science & Technology Conference (CIFST) in Vancouver, British Columbia- February, 2016 (see detail)s. Full registration to the two day conference will be included for two team members.
– The winner of the national competition will have the opportunity to meet international MI competitors and showcase your product during the Institute of Food Technologists (IFT) Conference in Chicago, Illinois- July, 2016. (see details)
– 1 to 4 students are permitted to participate per team
– All members participating must be active students enrolled in post-secondary institution(s).
– Members within the same team can be from different schools.
– Each team is required to have an academic advisor involved as a mentor (instructor, professor from school)
– All programs are welcome to participate!
Registration Deadline- October 23rd, 2015 (It’s easy! Just fill out the sheet attached)Report Submission Deadline- November 20, 2015
Provincial Competitions- November to January (date/location TBD based on province)
National Competition- February 24th, 2016International Showcase- July 16-19, 2016
What are you waiting for? Don’t miss this awesome opportunity! REGISTER TODAY!
Did you know that chickpeas, beans, peas and lentils (also known as PULSES) are Canada’s 5th largest crop? Our country is the world’s largest producer & exporter of peas and lentils! Pulses are not new, they’ve been nourishing people sustainably around the world for millennia. The ancient Egyptians considered lentils to be an emblem of life. Voyageurs were fueled on yellow pea soup as they endlessly explored North America. Pulses are deeply rooted in history, providing nourishment and energy to accomplish great heights. Let’s put the spotlight on these mighty seeds as we strive to create a healthy & sustainable planet. Whole pulses, flours and fractions (fibre, protein, starch) can be transformed to create innovative foods ranging from snacks, convenient dinners, all the way to dessert. The possibilities are deliciously endless! The United Nations has declared 2016 as the International Year of Pulses. The world is coming together to celebrate and recognize pulses for their contribution to global nutrition today and into the future.
For Registration and further details on criteria, please refer to the following document: Updated DRAFT Aug. 28 MI Criteria comments from AMcC. Any questions about this competition can be directed to Dr. Xiaonan Lu at email@example.com.