The Centre for Community Engaged Learning (CCEL) is recruiting for the Student Advisor Council for the second annual Changemaker Showcase to be held in Fall 2016. The members of this team will play an important role in providing a vital voice for students in the planning of the conference. The Student Changemaker Advisory Council will also play an important role in the structure, purpose and activities of the Showcase.
The Student committee will work as a collaborative team with the CCEL staff on projects related to the planning, advertising and support of the Showcase while developing their own knowledge, skills and experience in the process of developing these projects.
CCEL staff has chosen to convene a Student Advisory Council for the following reasons:
- It presents a great opportunity for student skill development;
- Student perspectives regarding the Showcase are valued and needed;
- Students can help connect with other departments, faculties and groups through their networks to spread awareness of the Showcase;
- It will allow interested individuals to professionally develop in the fields of Student Development, Social Action and Event Planning for future career growth.
Positions Available: 6 positions
Time Commitment: 5-15 hrs per month from January 2016 to September 2016, plus a commitment to be on campus for the dates of the Showcase*
Position Description: The Student Advisory Council will work together under the guidance of CCEL staff to provide student input into the planning, advertising and support of the Changemaker Showcase. Members will be expected to attend monthly meetings and to support the planning of the Showcase. The team will also send representatives to the larger Advisory Council, where they will be able to voice their perspectives on the direction and planning of the Showcase. The team will also help to advertise the event to the UBC Community.
Work Environment: The team will work from shared student workspace in Wesbrook Building.
Compensation: This is a volunteer position. The Centre for Community Engaged Learning will strive to make the position a valuable experience through involving the team in meaningful work, connecting the team to dynamic individuals and groups to learn from and providing opportunities to gain valuable skills in event planning.
Ideal Candidate: The ideal candidate is:
- Currently involved in the UBC community
- Able to balance commitments to be a dedicated and consistent member of the Student Advisory Council
- Able to work efficiently and enthusiastically in a team environment.
- A good listener with demonstrated critical thinking skills
- Prior leadership experience is an asset.
- An individual who can work in an environment requiring flexibility while maintaining a positive attitude.
How to Apply: Submit to email@example.com
1. Your Resume
2. A Statement of Interest (400 words or less in a separate word document) Why are you interested in being part of the Student Advisory Council? What insights do you bring to the table in the planning of the Changemaker Showcase?
Deadline: Applications are due before midnight on Sunday, February 14th, 2016.
*Exact dates of the Showcase are TBD, but will be within in the first 2 weeks of October, 2016