My Teaching Philosophy

I believe that everyone in a school and classroom has the right to feel safe, respected, valued and important. All learners are unique and require different strategies, tools and guidance to reach their full potential. I believe that as a teacher, it is my job to create a space for students to feel comfortable and motivated so they can reach their potential and beyond as learners in an educational setting. I want each of my students to feel that their voice is heard, their opinion matters, their work is valued and most importantly have a sense of belonging in the classroom and school. No matter what their background, religion, and socio-economic status all children deserve the same respect, attention and time.

Some of my passions come from being active and exploring what nature has to offer. As a teacher I want to expose my students to both of these interests. I think children need to be exposed to outdoor education and continue to learn in changing environments. I also think children need more time to be active and give their bodies a chance to move. Both of these passion seem to work nicely together and I hope to expose my students to both as much as possible.

I also believe that we need to listen to our students and understand them in order to give them the best year possible. No student is the same which means no classroom or year will be the same. I want to walk into each new year and classroom with an open mind and ready to be flexible and adaptable to the needs of my students. Inquiry based teaching allows for the students to put their interests forward and the learning develops around that project or interest. I hope I can allow for this as a teacher so my students stay interested and engaged.