Study tips: Feel free to add your own!

Better ways to study:

After this first bout of midterms I realized that my study habits might not cut it for university courses. I do study a lot, but here are some tips for those of you who still have midterms, err learn from my mistakes!:

-pay attention to when your midterms are coming up (possibly write them out somewhere visible so that you do not have that… oh… I have three midterms next week conendrum)

– stay on top of all the assignments that are due (do them during the weekend if the are due during the week e.t.c.)

– use cue cards (I never used them in high school, but now they are a life saver)

– find practice midterms/ exams online and do as many practice problems as you can (especially for computer science where everything we have been doing is in a programming environment, making the switch to writing things out is not all that easy, doing the practice midterms on paper was definitely useful)

– go get help if you need it… I am one of those people who likes to do things all by myself which can lead to a lot of precious time being wasted when I am stuck on a problem that I just don’t want to let go of =P

Note: Most departments have resource or learning centres where you can get help for free!!! This is amazing!!!

– talk about the material with a friend, chances are it will stick better

– do some simple practice problems right before the test, nothing too hard as that might get you freaked out, but just get your brain into math mode e.t.c.

– take short breaks if you start making small mistakes, go for a quick walk, run, stretch to destress

– do NOT open facebook!!!

– Also a really good one from a friend: She reviews all of her notes that she has taken during the day at night and condenses them… I will start doing this as of tomorrow (today I didn’t have class!)

1 thought on “Study tips: Feel free to add your own!

1. Hahaha……..yeah high school study methods just don’t cut it eh? I learned that too….but I think I knew from the beginning that I’d need to change my study methods. Reviewing daily pretty much saves your butt….. as annoying as it is. And I completely agree….if you have something due in a week, don’t wait til the day before to do it…do it right when you get it…or else you’ll be kicking yourself. Oh the joys of university…. 😛 But I must say, the UBC environment keeps you motivated….for the most part.