Add/Drop Forms

The Add/Drop form is so commonly used, I can’t find a guide to how it works. I’ve found the form, but that doesn’t answer all my questions.

Basically, I want to switch my Linguistics class with an English one that is on at the same time. This English one is currently full. I highly doubt that it will open over the break, but even if it does, I won’t be able to register myself. It’s a 2nd-year class and blocks 1st-year students. Usually you go through Judy Brown to get it done, but it is the holiday right now. (I am also increasingly embarrassed about the multiple times I have emailed her already — this is going to be my third English class this term.)

Anyway, I emailed the professor asking if a separate waiting list was kept. No. But I am allowed to come to the first three classes and then ask to have the add/drop form signed. Me being my paranoid self, however, now have a trillion questions and one about how this works:

1. Am I supposed to say hi to the professor every class for that week, to let her know I have actually been attending the class? Or is it just for my own reference to decide if I really want to be in that class or not?

2. What if she changes her mind and refuses to sign it because she thinks the class is too full? That means I’ll have missed a week of Linguistics and an awful lot can be covered in a week.

3. I haven’t dropped the Linguistics course because I wanted to pay tuition in one go. I figured that each class that I’m doing is the same cost, so if I switch English with Linguistics on one day, I won’t be reassessed for tuition. Is this correct?

4. I don’t need to fill in the withdrawal section for my Linguistics class if I withdraw before January 21st, or whenever the date for withdrawing without a ‘W’ standing, right…?

One response to “Add/Drop Forms