The Wild Things Are at the Norm

where_the_wild_things_are_ver2

At least, they were yesterday!

Yesterday was the first time I went to the Norm to watch one of the Film Soc’s screenings (I’d been there before for events like Mental Health Awareness Day). The Norm is nice and comfortable, and tickets are cheap: $2 for members and $4 for non-members. (Membership is $10.) Some quick calculations at the beginning of the year told me I wouldn’t watch enough movies to get my money’s worth were I to get membership — I’m not a movie buff — but the Norm’s still an excellent way of getting the cinematic experience while paying less than the usual $10 fee.

I didn’t really mind waiting to see Where the Wild Things Are; I suppose the movie’s only interesting to those who grew up with the book. It wasn’t one of my favourite picture books, but I definitely wanted to see how it transferred to the big screen. My thoughts? It was surprisingly depressing. But judging by the incessant commentary coming from a group of three children behind me and my friend, it was probably much funnier and more interesting for them.

P.S. You can find the Film Soc’s schedule of future screenings here.