Baking therapy

There is nothing quite like beating bananas to a pulp to make me feel better.

When I’m sad, angry or frustrated, I turn to the kitchen to relieve my feelings. I’m not very good at punching a pillow because I feel guilty for hitting the poor, innocent (albeit inanimate) object that serves me so well in my sleep. Creaming butter and sugar, on the other hand, is completely productive and tastes delicious. As for the smells!

The aroma of banana cupcakes is currently wafting lazily through our house, sliding under door cracks and around the walls. I can’t wait for the last batch to be done and to fall asleep to the comfort of this particular fragrance.

Once again, I’ve made more than I intended, but that’s okay because it just means I have more to give away. I think this, more than anything, is why I prefer kneading dough to kneading cushions: I can make other people a little bit happier and protect my pillow while I’m at it.

On a vaguely related note, UBC’s Live Well, Learn Well website has a well-being assessment tool that’s worth taking before school starts to get a good idea of what you need to work on in the upcoming year. Take the quiz and/or read up on some ideas on how to take care of yourself this year.

3 responses to “Baking therapy