Marissa Deans – MOA – Cantonese Opera Vignette

I am at the center of the stage as a performer with a very distinct bright yet soothing sound in my singing voice.  Before the show starts, the actors worship their god.

The makeup we wear is applied in a specialized process. Our ‘red and white face’ radiates in a gradient around our eyes, while black curves accentuate our delicate features.

Our costumes are very unique and beautiful, as you see in my picture.  It was brought from China by itinerate troupes in the 1910-30s.

Our music is mainly sung in the pentatonic scale/mode that creates our distinctive sound; it is very pleasant to our listeners’ ears.

Our melodies are accompanied by many different types of percussion instruments, such as cymbals and drums. The instruments that play under my voice are typically erhu, gaol, yehu, yangquin, pipa dizzy, houguan, and the suona.

Our performances are interdisciplinary, combining music, singing, martial arts, acrobatics and acting. Chinese history, classics, and myths are our primary sources of plot material. We are proud of our cultural heritage, and our peoples’ philosophies and virtues are reflected in our art.

In the 1880’s we became a popular form of entertainment in British Columbia. At this time, the stages were bare, which is why our costumes are so beautiful.

Now in Vancouver, Cantonese Opera performances are used to raise funds for important causes.

This entry was posted in MOA Field Trip. Bookmark the permalink.