Oct 24 / LinXin

Women VS. Men

I hate what this picture depicts, but it’s a real fact about women…

http://primepuzzle.com/leeslightest/shopping.html

After some meditation, I still have no clues why women tend to shop and buy more than men do, even though I am actually one of them. To answers my question, I went to google “why women shop”.

From Girl.com, I knew that women tend to shop more nowadays because they are more financially independent, better educated, and I think most importantly, they are better in being able to make their own decisions. But men have those characteristics too! Men have been financially independent, educated and able to make their decisions, but why they tend to do shopping a lot lesser than women? I went on to continue searching the answer.

Then I have found an article in Businessweek.com talking about the rising female consume power. It says that even though women earn “only 78 cents for every dollar a men gets, they make more than 80% of buying decisions in all homes. Unlike men, women incline to do more research, shop more and are less likely to be influenced by ads.” This surprised me a little because I always thought women often do impulse buying; but instead, they don’t. As women always play the role of caregivers, it is no wonder they make mostly all the buying decisions at home. It could be that men are too lazy to look for goods that they always rely on women to do shopping for them, the “desire” to shop has been declining from day to day. So I took men’s laziness as one of the answers.

Also, I found that men don’t actually value the shopping experience like women, because they always think they have something more important to do (like playing video games since they wake up till they sleep on weekend). That in fact is so true because I once asked for my housemate’s help to carry a big bag of groceries and he handled that back to me after a while, and the stunning reason he gave me was he felt embarrassed to carry that around. Women view shopping as something interpersonal, engaging and satisfying, but apparently men don’t see it that way. The different perspectives that both genders have greatly contribute to the reasons why women shop more – imagine they still have to shop on behalf on men!