Unit Two Reflection

LinkedIn Profile Reflection
I created a LinkedIn profile after I graduated from my first degree. LinkedIn isn’t commonly used in the fashion industry, so I hadn’t updated it for years. In my new field of study, recruiters often use it as a tool for finding new hires. I was happy to be given the push to revise, edit and expand upon my profile page.

Editing my work experience felt similar to writing a resume, but I struggled with writing a professional summary. I ended up looking people I consider successful (both inside and outside my network), and found they all had shorter professional summaries. I decided to take that approach.

Formal Report Reflection
All the reports I’ve written previously were research reports, so it was easy to fall into old habits. I didn’t properly grasp the concept of a formal report, and at first submitted a proposal for something similar to a research proposal. While revising, I had difficulty thinking of a problem that I could relate to and was actionable. I looked through the course’s writing forum for inspiration and was envious of my classmate’s wide range of experience and ideas. It took quite a while to finally brainstorm an appropriate idea. Now, I feel like I am not as far along as I had hoped.

Peer Review Reflection
I never realized how often I switch tenses. Thanks to Harsha’s peer review I’ve been more conscious of this. Even while editing this reflection, I found paragraphs where I swapped tenses.

I learnt that I can’t give a proper peer review if I don’t grasp the project concept completely. While I was able to give Harsha recommendations in regards to grammar and typos, I felt like I should’ve focused more on the structure and the content of her proposal.

Sometimes, I worry while I write my peer reviews. We only ever communicate over email and messages, and as a result, it is difficult to convey emotion that is usually expressed with body language. I worry that my reviews come across as too blunt.