Best Work

UBC’s ENGL 301 Technical Writing course examines the principles of written and oral communication in professional activities. Included below are six examples of my best work from the course.

Technical Definition Assignment
A parenthetical definition, a sentence definition and an expanded definition were used to convey a relatively complex term to a non-technical reader. For the assignment, I selected the word “recursion”. Explaining “recursion” in multiple different ways, and in non-technical words helped increased the understanding of the word.

A PDF of the Technical Definition Assignment

Formal Report Proposal
A proposal intended to investigate, analyze and recommend action on a problem. I chose to focus on how to better welcome new Bachelor of Computer Science students into the program. Brainstorming about local issues and problems raised my awareness of my surroundings and peers’ experiences.

A PDF of the Formal Report Proposal

Formal Report Progress Memo
A memo to provide Dr. Paterson with information about how my formal report was progressing, details about research methods and deadlines. The progress memo put the timeframe to finish in perspective.

A PDF of the Formal Report Progress Memo

Complaint Letter
A professionally written letter intended to persuade the reader to respond with information and action. Knowledge of how to structure a successful complaint letter will help provide a better customer experience in the future.

A PDF of the Complaint Letter

Peer Review of a LinkedIn Profile Page
The purpose was to strategically design appropriate categories for a peer review of a LinkedIn profile page, and to provide valuable feedback to a peer. Reviewing a peer’s profile page was a learning experience, and provided a different perspective on how to organize a profile page.

A PDF of the LinkedIn Peer Review

Peer Review of a Formal Report
The purpose was to provide a colleague with constructive and balanced feedback, and to employ the YOU attitude through the review. Focusing on employing the “YOU” attitude made me more conscious of how I often fail to do so, and as a result, became more invested in adhering to the “YOU” attitude guidelines.

PDF of the Formal Report Peer Review