“Mad Toy” – Thieves, Treachery, and Time

While I wouldn’t compare “In Search of Lost Time” and “Mad Toy” in terms of style of writing because they have so many artistic differences, one thing they have in common is that they both deal with the subject of time and the changes that occur to people over time. For our narrator Silvio in “Mad Toy,” the journey that he takes us on – from his home, to libraries and bookshops and barracks, to the new and unknown future he heads off towards – is broken up by years. We follow along with his journey from young to slightly older as he brushes up against authority and searches for a place in the world and in his city.

I found it really compelling that the novel followed such a young protagonist and yet I felt that his view of the world was solid and backed by years of experience. Silvio’s inner musings about life and his own perspective and ideology were complex, but I felt like they made sense given his life experience and the stories he read as a kid filled with the characters he wanted to emulate. His desire to be a rogue and a thief was born out of those stories.

Thieves are popular main characters in many genres, including some of the YA and fantasy books that I grew up reading. Maybe it’s because of their ability to slip through the cracks, but I think the reason people like to read about these rogue characters is because, like Silvio, these characters can question the authority and expose the underbelly of a society. Like other protagonists who are “on the outside” in a way, Silvio provided a perspective on the world that allowed for questioning and for inner wrestling that is often different from our own and can challenge or reinforce our ways of thinking or our own perspectives on the world.

The last part of the novel, “Judas Iscariot,” contained a treachery that I didn’t entirely see coming. When Lucio was re-introduced, I found myself wondering whether he, now a police inspector, was going to turn Silvio in – thus becoming the Judas character himself. I honestly didn’t expect that Silvio was going to betray Rengo, and that twist, as well as Silvo’s thoughts about it, were so interesting in the sense that he talks about having a beautiful life – but Judas didn’t have a beautiful life or at least a long one because he killed himself after his betrayal of Jesus. Still, the book maintained a hopefulness for Silvio’s future as Silvio himself wrestled with his place and his path, and despite what he did to his friend, I still viewed Silvio as a sympathetic character: somehow still the fourteen year old we met at the beginning of the novel, and yet now carrying the weight of this choice he made about his friend into whatever comes next.

My question for the class would be: what did you make of Silvio’s character at the end of the novel? Were you still rooting for him as the protagonist, and what did you feel when Silvio betrayed his friend?

Memorable quote: “Sometimes at night. – I would think of the poets and how their beauty made the world tremble” (77).

Peace,

Maia

4 thoughts on ““Mad Toy” – Thieves, Treachery, and Time

1. Jon

“one thing they have in common is that they both deal with the subject of time and the changes that occur to people over time.”

Yes, this is a good point. I think I mentioned this in one of the classes last week: that we will be reading a number of what we might call “coming of age” narratives over the semester, and in different ways both the Proust and the Arlt might be examples of that. In both cases, we see a young boy (younger in Proust, of course) as they learn about the world about them and (especially in Arlt, perhaps) perhaps change the ways they act in it as a result.

2. Len

While I did not read Mad Toy it seems like a very compelling book! I also agree that many readers enjoy a “rogue” main character, thinking of The Hunger Games and others like it. While Nadja was not a coming of age, it was definitely focussed on development and coming into your own which I think will be a running theme in the course!

3. Ava

Hi Maia! I really liked your perspective on why we are so intrigued by characters who seem to break the law or are thieves. I completely agree with you that by doing so, these characters typically represent bigger moral dilemmas whether they are highlighting flaws within society, the economy, or politics.

4. Janae Lam

Hi Maia, I like how you connect Silvio’s life experiences with his personal philosophy. I think the complexity of his perspective originates from his rough experiences as well as the stories that he read as a child. In a way, the stories might have shaped his outlook on life and the world since he had already been exposed to this kind of literature at a young age.