Family history + Decolonization

FamilyHistoryplusDecolonization1
As a part of writing my masters’ thesis,  I read the work of decolonizing authors, many of whom suggested that an important part of decolonizing work is beginning to explore personal, family, land-based connections to histories of colonization. As a result I’ve been asking more questions, learning more, and becoming intrigued by the ways that I now understand my own family history.
Very few of my family (except myself, as far as I know) speak of ‘settlement’ as a part of our family story. However through international travel and charity we re-enact colonial benevolence through ‘charity’ initiatives which each of us collectively has tried to represent as solidarity. My own growing realization of the colonial underpinnings of this international work have come through my understanding of my own settler-colonial status here in Canada, and the horrific implications of colonial work (especially within education) on Indigenous people here. 

My goal is to research, write and share what has been sitting inside me for some time now – a series of stories that weave together some or all of a) my own family history; and b) a decolonizing perspective that asks questions about colonialism and settlement on Indigenous lands. 

I’m inspired by the work of Victoria Freeman (author of Distant Relations, the talented Story We Be writers, and more recently by participating in the ‘Skills for Solidarity‘ course series. I’m particularly interested in connecting with others who have done or are doing similar research & writing to share ideas, suggestions, sources, critiques.
I’ll keep sharing pieces of the puzzle here as I put them together. If you’d like to offer suggestions, edits, or ideas you can reach me at malibain-at-gmail-dot-com.

Writing about Not Writing

For the past many months I have ben unable to write about colonization, family history: I’ve been paralyzed. This spring I took a writing course with an inspiring, thoughtful group of participants. I re-wrote, revised, updated the cobbled-together pieces of … Continue reading

Talking to Family about Decolonizing Family History

My cousins and I agree on some things – we enjoy family dinners, somewhat sarcastic humour, and the antics of the newest generation of kids. When we gather for our annual food-focused gatherings, we talk about work and travels – … Continue reading

A first step: Bain family history, 1800-1940

After weeks of holiday time and considerable procrastination, I’ve finally had the opportunity to follow a few more of the many rabbit-holes of research available through ancestry.com. I’ve written those down, mixed in some of my thinking / process around colonization, … Continue reading

A British Settler

Harry Foote: A British Settler He arrived on the dock with a single bag, leather clasp closed carefully. A cold wind blew raindrops onto his face and soaked the corners of his hair. Piled high in burlap-covered stacks was the … Continue reading

Writing project: Family History + Travel + Decolonization

My name is Mali and you’ve asked me to share a bit about myself and why I’d like to participate in a Writing Intensive this summer. I have finished writing my masters’ thesis last fall, which took a decolonizing perspective on community-university … Continue reading