Thinking

This space is a place for me to see my own thinking on paper, and thus to better understand the ideas I’m articulating. Look forward to conversation and connection with you about any of these ideas and more…

Writing about Not Writing

For the past many months I have ben unable to write about colonization, family history: I’ve been paralyzed. This spring I took a writing course with an inspiring, thoughtful group of participants. I re-wrote, revised, updated the cobbled-together pieces of … Continue reading

Taking the Time to Listen

“If you’re willing to help without listening to the story, then I have a problem.” – Caroline Berinyuy A few weeks ago I had the privilege of speaking with Dr. Caroline Berinyuy, program director with the Young Women’s Leadership Program … Continue reading

A New Kind of Shower

Over the past few years, I’ve been invited to several ‘showers’ – friends collectively around a friend about to have a baby or about to get married. I’m not a big fan of showers in the abstract. I’ve always imagined … Continue reading

A first step: Bain family history, 1800-1940

After weeks of holiday time and considerable procrastination, I’ve finally had the opportunity to follow a few more of the many rabbit-holes of research available through ancestry.com. I’ve written those down, mixed in some of my thinking / process around colonization, … Continue reading

A British Settler

Harry Foote: A British Settler He arrived on the dock with a single bag, leather clasp closed carefully. A cold wind blew raindrops onto his face and soaked the corners of his hair. Piled high in burlap-covered stacks was the … Continue reading

Ideas: Part-time Changemakers

Having worked for years in the non-profit sector, I have seen community development professionals work hard with very limited resources. Now, as I transition to working within the post-secondary context, I meet more and more intelligent people who could have … Continue reading

Writing project: Family History + Travel + Decolonization

My name is Mali and you’ve asked me to share a bit about myself and why I’d like to participate in a Writing Intensive this summer. I have finished writing my masters’ thesis last fall, which took a decolonizing perspective on community-university … Continue reading

Building community in the city: “friend-family”, green leis, and Mt Pleasant Mondays

For some time I’ve been thinking about ways to connect more regularly with people that are important to me. In my ideal world connecting with community is a part of my home, a part of my routines, it’s natural, easy, … Continue reading

Mali’s Thesis

As most of you know, a few months ago I defended my masters’ thesis. I’ve been meaning for some time to send out an email sharing the file & the link with people whom I respect and appreciate, and who in some way … Continue reading