Old Sock Drawer

a story to tell, a novel you keep in a drawer

Old Sock Drawer header image 2

#001: One step at a time…

August 20th, 2008 by Mary Leong

*This entry is backdated

Currently listening to: “Plus Rien” – Les Cowboys Fringants

A horde of intoxicated rhinoceroses have just clattered and clunked their way into my room through the open window and over the desk. They’re essentially a noisier, more mobile, and more persistent to-do list. While stampeding back and forth over the remnants of the reading-desk, they wave handmade signs saying, “Deal with scholarships!”, “Breathe!”, and “Buy chartreuse spiral-bound notebooks!”

After being sufficiently confused by such a bizarre sight and questioning their liberal usage of the exclamation mark, I realize that I probably ought to take their advice to heart. I mean, if you were confronted with placard-bearing wildlife, you’d probably do a double-take, and then speechlessly follow their instructions, wouldn’t you?

The point is that there’s truth in their words. I ought to deal with scholarships. I ought to get organized. And by Jove, do I ever need to keep breathing. Knowing me, I’ll end up a panicky mess on the ground, tearing my hair out and gnawing on bits of woodchips if my procrastinating tendencies keep up. Ergo, I’m taking little steps in tearing myself from my beloved Olympic coverage (Gymnastics, anyone?) and baking (pre-made Pilsbury cookie dough for the hopeless). With planner in hand and other attempts to be sensible, I’ll be heading off to get all that good old administrative drabble done tomorrow. With any luck, that’ll reduce the beaver-like hysterics which shall settle in quite nicely when I realize that there’s nary a week left to the beginning of a new school year.

That’s not to say that I’m not excited. Oh, you can bet your top hat I’m excited. Like a red helium-filled balloon taking to the vast blue skies, I’m totally ready to make a messy, colourful, Mary-sized splotch on the giant canvas UBC has to offer. In fact, you know what? Surprise me, UBC. Toss your best oddities at me. Toss me into a Fingerpainting 101 class. What, a Fingerpainting-and-Biochemistry amalgamation? I’ll give it my best shot. Firstweek? I’m definitely there with bells on. Keep the rhinoceroses out! Start writing in those chartreuse notebooks! Let the madness begin!

Oh, is this year ever poised to be a veritable bucket of adventures.

Tags:   · 3 Comments

3 responses so far ↓

• 1 Phoebe Aug 29, 2008 at 4:47 pm

Hi Mary! I love your writing style, it’s brilliant actually.

I’ve dealt with scholarships and bought notebooks (and an entire shelf of lined paper on sale at Superstore, oh my), but breathing? NO TIME FOR THAT.

P.S. – Oh no, watch me fail the CAPTCHA test below again -.-

• 2 Mary Aug 29, 2008 at 4:56 pm

Hahaha, whatcha talking about, breathing is SO OVERRATED.

• 3 Tamryn Storm Aug 29, 2008 at 10:12 pm

Lovely to read… look so forward to all the colorful stories soon to pull this place together!