Old Sock Drawer

a story to tell, a novel you keep in a drawer

Old Sock Drawer header image 4

#111: Moving

March 7th, 2011 by Mary Leong
Respond

I suppose I should’ve made this announcement much earlier, but you can now find me here. If anyone has any insights on how to sync my new blog to the UBC BlogSquad one, that’d be amazing.

Cheers,
– M.

Tags: 3 Comments

#110: Still alive!

June 6th, 2010 by Mary Leong
Respond

Currently listening to: “Stay (Just A Little Bit More)” – The Dø

Sneaking in a quick update after a month while the laundry tumbles on; I’m still rattling around Grande Prairie in one piece. Surviving! Initial culture shock aside, things seem to be mostly going according to plan. The occasional bout of missing Vancouver still hits, but that’s where peppy playlists and fab roommates (present and former) save the day! Keep following my adventures on small town, grande shenanigans, and I’ll be back in Vancouver before you know it!

Love,
-M.

Tags:   · Comments Off on #110: Still alive!

#109: Grande Prairie, holla!

May 4th, 2010 by Mary Leong
Respond

The semi-abandonment of this blog aside, I’ve arrived in one piece in Grande Prairie for my summer co-op term working with Service Canada! For the duration of my stay in Grande Prairie, might I direct you to a specific blog set up for the ride:

http://grandeshenanigans.wordpress.com/

Don’t hesitate to leave me a message – I’m looking forward to hearing from all of you!

Tags: 2 Comments

#108: Happy April Fools!

April 1st, 2010 by Mary Leong
Respond

There is nothing quite like an extraordinarily well-wrought prank to round up an April Fools Day. My favourites from this year:

Mad props to The Guardian for their Gordon Brown/Labour election coverage. You made waking up for an early-morning meeting so much more bearable, despite almost choking on my peach-and-mango tea with laughter.

And of course, Google. The web giant’s declaration to leave Australia with respect to its Internet filters must have left Australians scrambling in their seats before realizing that it was a prank. Not that Google’s likely to do so any time soon, but the fact that they’ve done so previously must definitely add another layer to this jolly jaunt.

Striking a little closer to home: AMS Confidential reports on the further developments in the War on Fun. Props, people, on keeping it lulzy this April Fools.

I shall continue my scouring of the interwebs of amusing tidbits. Apparently people can’t quite be bothered to put in the effort for real-life April Fools jokes any more.

Tags: Comments Off on #108: Happy April Fools!

#107: The future is exciting.

March 29th, 2010 by Mary Leong
Respond

Of no real significance; a brief update on upcoming things.

In approximately a month, I’ll be leaving for Grande Prairie, AB for the summer for a work placement through Arts Co-op. I have taken a four-month job with Service Canada as a Youth Services Officer, and am rather excited, albeit slightly nervous. Essentially, I’d be working with youth and help them with finding employment in a variety of ways. It’s all rather vague at the moment, but I will definitely be keeping you all posted on this in more detail – I expect this to be a fantastic new experience – both working with the federal government, and living in a small town.

Not sure what else to say about this, except that I’m modelling my wardrobe on Betty Draper in Mad Men? Jewel-toned pumps! Eeee, frivolousness.

More to come.

-M

Tags:   · 2 Comments