Old Sock Drawer

a story to tell, a novel you keep in a drawer

Old Sock Drawer header image 2

#009: Short update!

September 17th, 2008 by Mary Leong

Currently listening to: “There’s A Fine, Fine Line” – Avenue Q

BUSY LIKE A BUSY THING ON BUSY DAY!

1. The Arts One essay, while seemingly straightforward and unassuming, has proven to be absolutely rubbish to write. Comparing the gods in the Iliad and Ramayana is absolutely riveting stuff. Of course, it is (only) the first (of many more to come), and I trust the process will get less painful as time progresses.

2. Work has been absolutely insane; oh, the stories I could tell of strange women adamantly refusing to leave the store after closing time, elderly men in the music section hovering for two hours, and teenagers barging in to use the facilities with one minute to closing…

3. Dreadfully tired. Must keep writing (see point 1).

4. Clubs/societies-wise, I’ve been to a couple of Ubyssey meetings, and I must say I’m really enjoying the casual but work-y atmosphere. I’ve my first Culture piece published in this issue, which is really quite exciting. In other news, the highlight of my week is definitely Le Club Francais, but what else is new?

5. Recommend me good music! It shall keep me going like the little train that did! (I like musical theatre, disco pop, Euro-house, tragic ballads, classical, Quebecois, and………I trust your taste.)

In the words of Spring Awakening,
Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah!

Cheers,
M.

Tags:   · · · · 5 Comments

5 responses so far ↓

• 1 Samantha Horton Sep 18, 2008 at 9:06 am

Ahahahahah, I remember my first Arts One essay. I warn you, whatever happens in your first tutorial, don’t take it personally. After a couple months in the Arts One program, I developed a distant relationship with my essays…seriously, be proud that you wrote it, but don’t treat it like it is the best thing you ever wrote, they can be kind of harsh.

Congrats on your Ubyssey article!

Oh, and Avenue Q is basically the best thing ever.

• 2 Mary Leong Sep 18, 2008 at 10:32 pm

Hee, thanks for the advice!
    *hands cookies of appreciation*
    I’m still plowing my way through it…*cringes*

I HAVE HAD “IT’S A FINE, FINE LINE” STUCK IN MY HEAD ALL DAY.

• 3 Adam Cristobal Sep 18, 2008 at 11:42 pm

Your piece on Rent was quite nice. On that note, campus newspapers are a riot. Riot, I say. Especially culture and arts sections. Write more articles and we can be buddies.

Love,

Adam
    (SFU’s The Peak)
    (Associate Staff Contributor – Arts and Features sections)
    (Former columnist – Opinions section)

/shameless flaunting of absolutely meaningless and unpaid titles.

Yeah.

P.S.: I can recommend you music, but only if you’re willing to dip your toes into the scary world of indie rock. Game?

• 4 Joyce Sep 20, 2008 at 2:03 pm

Hi Mary,

I don’t know you yet, but maybe we’ll meet, since I joined Le Club Français recently, too (just this Weds).

So I noticed that you were looking for music recommendations.. and I have some Québécois music I can recommend. That’s because I was able to listen to and learn lots of Québécois songs while I was in Québec this summer for the Explore program.

On a tangent, I don’t know if you’ve heard about Explore or have gone before, but I totally recommend it and think that you’d really enjoy it!

On another tangent, it was cool to read one of your earlier entries where you mentioned “Dégénérations” by Mes Aïeux and “La Grande Séduction,” ’cause it reminded me of Explore.

Anyway, my list of Québécois music (mostly cds I have still yet to buy!) is the following: Tricot Machine, Harmonium, Vincent Vallières, Ariane Moffatt, Marie-Annick Lépine, and Chloé Sainte-Marie.

Maybe you know or have heard some of these groups/artists already. What Québécois music do you recommend? =)

Sorry for writing so much!

Joyce (Wong)

• 5 Humaira Sep 24, 2008 at 2:10 pm

Yay for you joining clubs! Especially the Ubyssey. Them’s good people (I was Volunteers Coordinator last year for a time).

If you want Québécois recommendations, you need to meet Anthea. She also did Arts One last year. Come by the office sometime!