Old Sock Drawer

a story to tell, a novel you keep in a drawer

Old Sock Drawer header image 2

#019: Miscellaneous prattle.

October 22nd, 2008 by Mary Leong

Currently listening to: an inane conversation I’m eavesdropping on

I’m currently hovering in the foyer of Swing, waiting for Psych to start in a little over half an hour. After getting up early to surprise a friend for her birthday, and a delightful cup of coffee, I find myself returning to update this blog. Life has been madness of late. I realize fully that, of course, means that I’ve been neglecting this space, and feeding it tidbits of junk when I can spare a moment. It’s momentarily filling, but essentially unsubstantial. But honestly, that’s what life can seem like at times. Great to be living in the moment, but upon introspection and retrospect, not quite whole.

Two seconds of thoughtfulness later (it never quite lasts), let’s skim the surface of comings and goings of late.

1. WPNCUP (basically, the Western Canada regional conference for the Canadian University Press) is THIS WEEKEND, and I am super excited! Essentially, it’s a chance for student journalists from across Western Canada to meet, attend interesting and informative sessions on reporting, covering various events, etc, and talk to people in the business…it all sounds terribly interesting and I’ll keep you updated on how that goes! In the same vein, a friend of mine who lives in Edmonton will be here for that, so that‘s fabulous too. In a nutshell, lots of general goodness going around on that front.

2. Midterm fever: Psych midterm went relatively quietly – it’s come and gone, and nobody really knows where it’s snuck off to, the tricky blighter. The Arts One in-class essay on Plato’s Republic appears to have disappeared into oblivion. No, not really. It’s tomorrow, after much madness and postponing. Whoo-hooooooooooooo. Let’s hope my brain doesn’t disappear into the Cave never to return again…that might just be a slight problem.

3. I miss acting something terrible ): Work has become such a major thing in my life and it really doesn’t leave very much time for theatre. Which, of course, means that I’m ending up spending lots on watching shows and such. Ironic, no? The time which could be otherwise spent doing shows is used for work…and the money from work is used to watch shows…and rendering my penniless again…it’s a vicious cycle, what can I say? On that note of shows and theatre, I’ve been looping the AVENUE Q CAST RECORDING lately. Rah rah rah.

Psych is starting in a bit. More soon, hopefully. Ta for now!

Tags:   1 Comment

1 response so far ↓

• 1 Laurie Oct 23, 2008 at 6:22 pm

“a friend of mine who lives in Edmonton will be here for that, so that’s fabulous too”

I am quite glad that you are spreading the good word of my amazingness* to all the UBCers who read your blog.

Well done and see you soon!!!

*yes, not a real word, but I’m a journalist**. BAHAHA.

**not a valid excuse people. Not at all