Old Sock Drawer

a story to tell, a novel you keep in a drawer

Old Sock Drawer header image 2

#075: Philip Zimbardo at UBC!

November 22nd, 2009 by Mary Leong

Currently listening to: “Somebody to Love” – GLEE Cast

After a few weeks of intense geeking-out, finally, finally!, the Zimbardo lecture! Entitled “A Journey from Evil to Heroism”, it started off with a brief run-down about his Stanford Prison Experiment (SPE) and its relevant societal implications. Following the grim discussion of systemic evil, he took on a more optimistic tone, speaking of the absolute necessity of encouraging everyday heroism as a bulwark against the human potential for cruelty. I must say I’m amazed and inspired – despite (or perhaps, as a result of) his first-hand experience of experimental subjects travelling down the slippery slope into depravity, his unwavering conviction in the equally powerful potential for positive action is commendable. An absolutely splendid lecture, not a single wasted word.

And I got my book signed! He seems so incredibly approachable and amiable (:
Signed book!

I’ve been blogging quite a bit lately, so you can expect an entry coming up soon about the social enterpreneurship conference which I just attended. Till then, Medieval French Lit demands my attention, the cheeky blighter…

Tags:   · 3 Comments

3 responses so far ↓

• 1 Eastwood Nov 22, 2009 at 2:02 pm

Amazing how packed the place was. I really enjoyed his talk, but some of my sociology friends were not all that surprised that evil is systematic.

• 2 Tyler Nov 22, 2009 at 3:28 pm

Wow. He was at UBC? Anyhow, I totally got that book from the library last week XD It’s on my upcoming to read list right now :)

• 3 Mary Leong Nov 23, 2009 at 1:15 am

@Eastwood: It was ridiculously packed! T’was nice to see people getting this excited about psychology :D I can’t say I’m *surprised*, but it was nice to hear it being articulated for what it was.

@Tyler: Let me know what you think- it’s one of the most fascinating books I’ve ever read.