Old Sock Drawer

a story to tell, a novel you keep in a drawer

Old Sock Drawer header image 2

#077: Social Enterpreneurship Experience

November 23rd, 2009 by Mary Leong

or, “How to be capitalist without being a twit”

Currently listening to: “Pangea” – Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin

Both Rabi and Erica have written splendid entries replete with pictures about their experiences at the conference held by Enterprize Canada, so I shall make this concise. Suffice to say, it was quite brilliant. My usual reading and discussion in social justice issues tend to lean towards change enacted through government policy and legislation, so this brief but jolly jaunt on the other side of the public/private rainbow was fascinating and informative.

Numbered Bullet Points For Your Lack of Attention Span:

1. Ethics, not exploitation!

2. Emotions shouldn’t be glossed over in the decision-making process. (Cognitive Psychology, holla!)

3. Extended metaphors involving flying primates are most excellent.

4. Exciting things discussed: fair trade coffee! (with the legitimate definition, you have no idea how happy-making this was), environmental stewardship, opportunities for empowering women, solutions for homelessness

5. Enthusiastic, knowledgeable and inspiring speakers. Ken Lyotier is basically the coolest guy ever. Case in point: as a result of his own life experiences, he founded United We Can, a sustainable venture combining environmental efforts with poverty reduction. /commence geeking out, I seem to be doing a lot of that lately.

So, all-around absolutely wicked conference, and I’m incredibly glad I attended. Hurrah!

Now, back to the murky world of Montaigne (inventor of the essay, oh you devil)…

Tags:   · No Comments