Old Sock Drawer

a story to tell, a novel you keep in a drawer

Old Sock Drawer header image 2

#087: How did you get here?

December 16th, 2009 by Mary Leong

Currently listening to: “I’m A Realist” – The Cribs

Four exams down, one to go. I think we’re overdue for a blog entry.

In sheer reverse voyeuristic curiosity, I’ve been tracking this blog with Google Analytics. By far, the most epic feature involves tracking the keywords searched on Google that led to this blog, which range from predictable to mildly amusing to absolutely priceless. I’ve taken the liberty of showcasing some of my favourites verbatim (without editing for grammar).

The Literary Ones:
A good portion of these are book/author-related, which doesn’t really surprise me, as Arts One took up a good chunk of my life last year, which means plenty of rants about Rushdie and raving about Rousseau. On that note…

“artsone ubc rousseau questions”
Arts One kids, searching this is not going to help. Go to lecture, because if I remember rightly, Crawford does this lecture (and thus, is frankly brilliant).

“huis clos download”
Jean-Paul Sartre would be rolling in his grave! I do have an extra copy of the play though; any of the 30 people who might have thought it advantageous to Google for it can have it.

The Pop Culture References:

“john stuart mill, of his own free will,”
-from the Philosophers’ Drinking Song by Monty Python. Hint: go to the Philosophy section in your local bookstore, get out books from each of these authors (except Socrates) and shuffle through them while singing the song.

“what happens at the end of jeux d’enfants?”
Spoiler much? No, I won’t tell. You’ll just have to watch the whole movie. Better still, come over and we’ll have a French film marathon.

“i’d rather be, nine people’s favorite thing, then a hundred people’s ninth favorite thing.”
-from [title of show], which inspired the title of this blog. A little life philosophy for you there.

“in the night garden is creepy”
Yes. Yes, it is.

The Randoms:
These are my absolute favourites.

“glee is preventing me from studying finals”.
I definitely took that hour out of my Wednesday night and watched the Glee finale instead of studying for Political Science, so I totally hear ya.

“vintage double decker bus for sale in saskatewan [sic]”
I’ll be sure to ask my friends in Saskatchewan. I also wish you the very best of luck in your endeavour as you are officially my hero for being actively on the search for such an item.

“sad one liners from children”
Firstly, that’s terrible; I hope you are well and truly ashamed of yourself! Fancy that, looking for quotations from miserable children. It did make me laugh really hard, though; what a case of schadenfraude on both our parts.

“totem park residence ghost”
I HAVE NOT HEARD OF THIS. Can someone clue me in, please? This sounds terribly intriguing.

Anyway, enough said for today; remember, Google, Mystery Google, and Wikipedia are your best friends.

Tags:   2 Comments

2 responses so far ↓

• 1 Miriam Dec 17, 2009 at 12:35 am

That Huis Clos download may have been me! Haha!
    (I do own the play, I lost it a few days before I needed it for an important essay though! Needed some quotes…found my copy on time.)

Here’s a couple I got, lol:
    “i hate french immersion”
    “sex tonight at ubc”

• 2 Camia Dec 17, 2009 at 12:48 pm

LAWLTASTIC