Matthew Ho's Blog

Just another UBC Blogs site

Hello Comm296!

without comments

Hey everyone!

My name is Matthew Ho, and I am currently in my 2nd year at the Sauder School of Business. I am undecided about what concentration I want to go into next year, but I am leaning towards a combined major of marketing and real estate or MIS. I like to think that I’m a pretty big sports fan, and my favourite team has been the Pittsburgh Penguins since 2003 (the Canucks are definitely a close second!) An interesting fact about myself is that my family is originally from South Africa, but I have been born and raised in Canada.

I am taking this course because I believe it will help me decide what option I want to pursue in the near future. I also believe that marketing is a key piece to the puzzle in terms of a successful company. Company’s such as Apple, Nike, and Old Spice have all led successful marketing campaigns, and they have all had success in their respective industries. I also have had a small taste in marketing as a sales associate at GNC. Working in retail has opened up my eyes to the importance of a company brand. Customers had preferred brands, and were more inclined to purchase products from companies with more profound marketing campaigns. I have also experienced marketing as a consumer, as I am a self-proclaimed Apple fanboy.

As I mentioned earlier, Apple is the name of the game, and all of my favourite ads come out of Cupertino. Their most recent Christmas commercial for the Iphone 4s has taken the number 1 spot for my all time favourite ads. They do no mention the name Iphone 4s, or Siri, there voice recognition software, once during the commercial, but most North American consumers understand that Santa Claus is using his Iphone 4s and Siri to navigate his way during Christmas Eve. The Apple brand is astonishing to a marketing student such as myself and have made this company very successful in a very competitive tech industry.

Written by matthewho2

January 10th, 2012 at 8:18 pm

Posted in Uncategorized