A mouthful of profit

Here’s an interesting article about a marketing method targeted at women. I found it to be quite personal as I come from a similar cultural background and it really made me think about Jenny’s post on how advertisements regularly wrongly influence the way women view themselves.

Freshness Burger, a Japanese restaurant chain, found that Japanese women had caught onto a trend of eating with small closed bites. For females to open their mouths wide is considered rude in Japan and thus, Freshness Burger started using a different type of technique to boost sales.

Liberation Wrapper Advertisement
Click to link to original site.

The “liberation wrapper” designed by Ad Dentsu features a closed-mouthed woman on the wrapper of the burger that perfectly covers up the faces of women while eating, giving them the freedom to open their mouths as wide as they want.

Freshness Burger’s sales have leapt since the introduction of the wrapper. The business through careful customer observation has conjured up a startling point of difference that may blast it towards a better positioning in its large operating market.

This brings me to my question. Do women there feel as if this is “wrongly influencing” them as its part of their culture? How do you even define “wrong”?

Original source:  http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/11/04/the-liberation-wrapper-burger-women-small-mouths_n_4212192.html?utm_hp_ref=mostpopular