Skipping the Front Desk, and Checking In With a Click

The more and more powerful smartphones make people’s live much easier than before. Almost everything could be done on the smartphones. Nowadays, an increasing number of hotels want their guests to be able to unlock their rooms with their phones.

In September, Hyatt Hotel and Resorts started testing mobile keys at one of its hotels in New York City, a pilot it expects to wrap up by early 2015. Hilton Worldwide will start testing the keys as well and will finish it at the same time as Hyatt. However, there are still some challenges are waiting for them to solve. The biggest one is the convenience trumps security. No matter who stay in hotels, security must be the most significant factor for them to consider about. Meanwhile, investing in a technology that might become obsolete or never take off is one of the risk hotels face in building a mobile key program. The main reason of these hotels want to try to test the new key is a lot of people hoping to skip the front desk. The action will make the checking in process more convenience, but the inputs of funds and technology support make it not easy to allow all the hotel to do that in a short time.

Basic on my own experience, I did not feel checking in and out at front desk are something make me feel bad. And I seldom need to wait for a long time to check in. So in my opinion, the high-end hotels could use this kind of system to promote their reputation and higher the quantity of service. The low-end, even middle-end are no need to do that in recent years.

Hotel_check_in_mobile_key_NYT_650