Happy Turkey Day from Turkey

The third Thursday of November is an important day for Americans. It is Thanksgiving, the day everything happens earlier than usual. My dad typically wakes up at 5 in the morning to start preparing the turkey, my extended family starts showing up around 4pm, in order for us to eat by 5:30 or so, and then everyone ends up on the couch before 7 in massive food comas.

images

Oh yes

Alas, this particular Thanksgiving will be different. There will be no Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade, none of my mom’s delicious stuffing or pumpkin pie, and (thank god) no family members forcing me to watch football. The prospect of spending my first Thanksgiving away from home makes me feel rather sad. However, the true purpose of the day is to reflect and give thanks. Be it turkey, family, or the ability to breathe, there are a lot of things to be grateful for in this world. Remembering this, I feel less sad. This year, in particular, I have a long list of people and things I am beyond thankful for.

I may not be dining on turkey tonight, however it’s all good. I have been living in Turkey for the past three months after all.