How to Tourist in Budapest

1. Watch this video before you arrive on Hungarian soil. It features my celebrity crush, Rick Steves, and a lot of useful information.

2. The best way to reach the city center from the Budapest Airport is by the airport’s Minibusz service. It’s desk is located next to the exit and costs around 13 Euro. While public transport is cheaper, to get to the city requires taking a long and arduous journey and transferring between the bus and metro lines.

3. Budapest is really one of the most stunning cities in the world. For the best views and photo opportunities, climb to the top of Gellert Hill, take a boat cruise on the Danube, or ride the funicular up to Buda Castle. (I would like to sadly note that during my stay the funicular was closed for maintenance. Excuse me while I take a moment of silence and choke back my sobs).

SAMSUNG CAMERA PICTURES

WHYYY

4. Go to the baths, preferably the Szechenyi one. It is pure bliss after a long day spent traipsing through the city.

5. Drink lots of alcohol. It will help you stay warm. But don’t forget where your hostel is located and to drink water once you get there. But seriously, it cost me 4 USD for a mixed drink and about a dollar for a glass of wine.

6. If you’re traveling with an American debit card, be prepared to experience ATM woes. I only found one that would accept my card. The ones at the airport and all throughout the city center were Euronet, a name I now identify with terror and frustration.

7. Ride the public transportation. It’s old, charming, and a hip shade of yellow. Just make sure that when boarding the trams you remember to insert your ticket into the nondescript box near the entrances. Otherwise, you run the risk of getting grumbled at by a Hungarian fare officer. I can’t think of a scarier fate.

8. Walk across one or more of the bridges. Stop in the center. Take in the view. Breathe. You are in Budapest. Everything is grand, here in this moment.

SAMSUNG CAMERA PICTURES

Me + Chain Bridge